Stead Family Children’s Hospital to open Saturday

The University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital on Saturday, November 5, 2016. The hospital hosted a weekend open house for the new $364 building. (The Daily Iowan/file photo)

The University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital announced their official opening for Saturday, Feb. 25.

Tom Moore, spokesperson for UI Hospitals & Clinics, said the areas that will open on Saturday are Lower Level 2: Imaging and Procedure Center, Lower Level 1: Discharge Lobby and Main Pharmacy, Level 1: Gerdin Family Lobby, Level 2: Dialysis and Infusion Center, Level 3: Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PCICU and PICU), Level 6: Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and Level 11: UI Dance Marathon Pediatric Cancer Center.

The remaining areas and floors of the new Children’s Hospital will open on a later date. Moore said opening the other areas later will allow the hospital to complete device integration and staff training, and to ensure these areas are ready for patients, families, and employees.

The hospital originally was supposed to open Dec. 10, but was delayed due to incomplete construction.

— Jenna Larson