24 memorable moments of the 24-hour Big Event

Kispert
The Lee family gives their testimony to dancers during hour five of the Dance Marathon 23 at the Iowa Memorial Union on Friday, Feb. 3, 2017. The youngest son, Caleb, needed a bone marrow transplant and his his older brother was a perfect match. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Here are 24 moments that have made an impact on dancers as they take on the big 24-hour event.

By Elianna Novitch

Each dancer’s experience at Dance Marathon 23 is different, from the moments that stick out to them, to the impact they have on each dancer.

For some dancers, the opening ceremonies became a moment that set the pace for the following 24-hours.

1. “I got to line the aisle for all the families to run in and it was really cool to see all the families that we support throughout the entire year run in in front of us so excited and ready to get the Big Event started.” – Dancer Erin Taber.
  2. “The coolest thing I’ve experienced so far was when the kids first walked out. I bawled my eyes out. I know what the cause is for but for them to really be here puts it all in perspective.” – Dancer Avery Mathew
  3. “The beginning of the Big Event is my favorite part because everybody is super pumped, full of energy, and ready for the 24 hours to begin.” – Dancer Kelsey Schmitt
  4. “The opening ceremony was a cool thing to witness because you got to cheer on the families as they walked in and on stage.” – Dancer Jacob Pena
  5. “I enjoyed the opening because everyone’s excitement was at an all-time high and you could just feel it in the room.” – Dancer Emma Lindskog

Some other highlights centered on the families whose children suffer from pediatric cancer.

1. “Hearing the families tell their different stories has been really inspiring to me and it really pushes you on because what you’re experiencing is nothing compared to what they have gone through.” – Dancer Meghal Patel
  2. “My favorite part has been getting to hear all the families stories every hour even when it was really late. It was cool to have them stay up with us.” – Dancer Andrea Lopez
  3. “I really liked hearing from the families because we raise all this money and their stories really help us see the impact that it makes.” – Dancer Abby Krueger
  4. “My favorite part of Dance Marathon 23 has to have been listening to the children and their families tell their stories up on stage to give us motivation to dance on.” – Dancer Kelsey Strandberg
  5. “One of my favorite moments is hearing all the families speak. [A kiddo I support, Cameron Christiansen] was one of the first speakers tonight and I got to go on stage with him so it was really cool to support him in that way.” – Dancer Sarah Conwell

For other dancers, interactions with the kids had the most impact on their Dance Marathon 23 experience.

1. “My favorite part [of Dance Marathon 23] was that I got to hang out with a kiddo. We ran around picking up confetti and just hanging out with her was so fun. They are the reason why we do this and so it was cool to get to spend time with a kid.” – Dancer Bridget Joers
  2. “I’ve been a dancer for three years and in the past I don’t think I’ve taken the time to get to know a kiddo so to do that here was really cool and different for me. Hanging out with the kids and having that one-on-one experience really emphasizes why we do what we do.” – Dancer Madison Glanz-Guessford

The halfway point at 7 a.m. acted as a special milestone marker for many of the dancers at Dance Marathon 23.

1. “My favorite moment was the halfway point because you all celebrate by listening to Living on a Prayer and celebrate how far you’ve come. It helps you refocus and get reenergized to finish strong.” – Dancer Rachel Hageman
  2. “It’s hard to pick one but I would say the halfway moment because it just reminds you how far you’ve made it and that you’ve made it over the hump.” – Dancer Julia Barcia

Other dancers shared a variety of other moments that have made the past hours special for them.

1. “The moment that stands out the most in my head was this spontaneous sing-along that we had. We started singing all these throwback songs like Justin Bieber and that’s when I really felt a connection with everyone because we were all just signing at the top of our lungs and celebrating why we are here.” – Dancer Abby Henderson
  2. “My favorite moment so far has been seeing everyone dancing together and pushing through even though it isn’t always easy.” – Dancer Chelsey Schaff
  3. “Those moments where we all come together are what really makes it click for me. I understand why we are here and why we are doing this.” – Dancer Hannah Lewis
  4. “I’m on the multimedia committee so I get the opportunity to go around with the camera and take pictures and capture all those special moments that people will look back on for weeks and years to come to remember DM 23.” – Dancer Jade Petersen
  5. “This is my first Dance Marathon and I have really enjoyed just the overall enthusiasm and energy of the event.” – Dancer Christian Moore
  6. “One of my highlights was going up on stage and doing Zumba. It just really woke me up in the middle of the night and was really high energy. Going up on stage and seeing the sea of lime shirts was cool.” – Dancer Megan Donahoe
  7. “One of my favorite moments definitely had to be the ‘short hair, don’t care’ because it is really amazing to see all the people who cut their hair for such an amazing cause.” Dancer Iame Rea
  8. “My favorite moment has been, as a Morale Captain Trainer, teaching the 12- to 18-year-olds how to do the morale dance that they get to perform later tonight.” – Dancer Hannah Stessman
  9. “The Zumba was pretty crazy. It was a new experience for me but it got me super hyped up.” -Dancer Yashila Permeswaran

One returning dancer is looking forward to the end of the 24-hours where everyone will reflect on what they’ve done.

1. “My favorite part [of Dance Marathon] is the end when we all get in a circle and reflect on the past 24-hours. It’s just a super emotional moment.” – Dancer Brianna Voss