Women’s hoops slips up in Des Moines

Hannah Schonhardt, Taylor Hagen of the Panthers and Megan Gustafson and Bre Cera of the Hawkeyes try to get possession of a rebound at the Carver-Hawkeye Arena on December 4,2016. The Hawkeyes defeated the Northern Iowa Panthers 88-39. (The Daily Iowan/Osama Khalid)

After a week break from competition, the Iowa women’s basketball team returned to the hardwood and hoped to accomplish a season sweep of its in-state rivals.

With two convincing victories over Iowa State and Northern Iowa in the rear-view mirror, the Hawkeyes had to take care of Drake.

The Hawkeyes got the Panthers and Cyclones in Carver-Hawkeye. Against Drake, Iowa had to play the role of guest in the Knapp Center.

The Hawkeyes’ lack of experience on the road created many problems, and they eventually lost the contest, 81-76, snapping a 14-game winning streak against Drake that dated to the 2001-02 season.

The the Bulldogs broke the streak by coming out as the aggressors early, and the Hawkeyes had to play catch-up in the first quarter after falling behind, 21-9.

After the game, Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder said she understands her team’s youth had something to do with the loss, but youth and lack of experience are not excuses for being out-hustled.

“I’ve got to be patient with them,” Bluder said. “Obviously, they lost a little bit of their swagger outside of Carver-Hawkeye Arena. We didn’t shoot the ball as well as we’ve been shooting it. But again, I thought Drake came out with more intensity, more focus. And they executed very well on offense.”

Iowa’s leading scorer was senior Ally Disterhoft with 24 points, followed by sophomore Megan Gustafson, who recorded another double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds.

Disterhoft and Gustafson were as consistent as usual. But Iowa only received 3 field goals from the other three starters.