Endorsement: Dave Loebsack

2nd District Rep. Dave Loebsack, D-Iowa, gestures during a debate at the Coralville Public Library on Monday, October 10, 2016. 2nd District Republican U.S. Congressional candidate Chris Peters announced he chose not to endorse Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump in a press release Monday morning participated in the forum. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

The election for Iowa’s 2nd District seat in the U.S. House is between Democrat and long-standing Rep. Dave Loebsack and area surgeon Christopher Peters.

In the past, Peters has described himself as a libertarian. His take on policy and political issues remain vaguely rooted in that free-market area, his views falling in line with his contemporaries: a laissez-faire economy, a vehement opposition to federalism, and an isolationist temperament.

However, Peters does maintain some noble views on issues such as immigration reform, the Affordable Care Act, and Social Security. But in the context of a sparse political background, it remains unclear if Peters has the capabilities to realize policy concerning such issues. Furthermore, those stances Peters takes that warrant praise essentially echo Loebsack’s stances.

Loebsack, a former political-science professor at Cornell College, has held office since 2007. To some, this may be unnerving. But Loebsack has demonstrated an ability lost to most in the House: the willingness to work with the other side.

According to govtrack.us, in 2015, 46 percent of the bills he worked on or was associated with were sponsored by someone other than a Democrat. In the present political climate, bipartisan cooperation is crucial. Peters has claimed a commitment to “nonpartisan” political approach, but Loebsack has already proven capable to reach across the aisle.

Loebsack is not perfect, but throughout the last 10 years, he has maintained some degree of competence in office. Thus, The Daily Iowan Editorial Board gives him our endorsement. Though noble, there is simply not enough substance or experience behind Peter’s bid to warrant our confidence.