Mills to leave and not leave

%28Via+Facebook%29
(Via Facebook)

After four years of being an undergraduate, three years of serving in the University of Iowa Student Government, and a year as UISG president, Liz Mills will say goodbye to the UI.

She will not be going too far, though. Mills said she plans to stay in Iowa City next year and possibly work a university job while she takes time to apply for graduate school.

Mills, who majored in political science and social work with a minor in Spanish, said the last four years at the UI have been a “roller coaster.”

“I loved my time here, and I’ve had some personal setbacks like most college students, but the university means so much to me,” Mills said. “I can’t even put it into words how it has made me the person I am.”

Mills got involved with UISG her freshman year, when a friend encouraged her to run for a position. She said she found her passion in the organization and never left.

Mills said she joked with friend Morgan Brittain about one day running together for UISG president and vice president. Eventually, they decided to go for it, and Mills said she has had no regrets.

“That’s also been a roller coaster, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything,” Mills said. “It’s been incredible, and I couldn’t have done it on my own. It was one of the best things I’ve ever done.”

Brittain worked side by side with Mills over the past academic year as her vice president.

“Her heart is made for service. Wherever she ends up, they’re lucky to have her,” he wrote in an email. “At times, we butted heads or irritated each other to no end, but at the end of the day, she was an excellent teammate and remains a wonderful friend.”

UISG Governmental Relations Liaison Dexter Golinghorst said he was impressed by Mills’ advocacy for students during her time of leadership.

“I think my proudest moment to work for Liz was when she advocated for a tuition freeze for students despite what some administrators and regents wanted,” Golinghorst said in an email. “I think her willingness to always find the solution best for students will be what I remember most about Liz’s tenure in UISG.”

As Mills departs the UI, she said her advice to underclassmen is to cherish their time here.