Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Samuel Studer

Sen. Bernie Sanders, in his race for Democratic presidential nomination, has fought for each vote and delegate remaining. He wants to ensure that even though the primary season is ending, leaders should still listen to his views. He has also helped to bring new people, ideas, and, frankly, life into the Democratic Party and has energized people into getting involved in the election process.

With Sanders’s presence in the race, it has helped America. During the campaign, Sanders has helped the Democratic Party understand issues and  helped to advance the idea that we can do more. Sanders has made points in regard to the economic pain of middle class and youth and restored the urgency of workers’ needs.

His rallies helped to bring people together on issues and aided his supporters to focus on his campaign. In an interview with Politico, President Obama noted that Bernie Sanders has helped the Democratic Party. “Bernie came in with the luxury of being a complete long shot and just letting loose,” Obama said. “I think Hillary came in with both the privilege — and burden — of being perceived as the front-runner. …  You’re always looking at the bright, shiny object that people haven’t seen before — that’s a disadvantage to her.”

Sanders’s ideas have challenged how Americans are thinking about the Democratic Party. He has reminded us that the party has been leading the agenda of the economic elite. But Sanders has made sure that his campaign has not followed this path. He has raised money through small donations and has shown America that he will not compromise on his thoughts and ideas. Even though Clinton has more experience in policy, Sanders has forced her to expand her plans and called her out on her failures.

Sanders has brought up issues in the party that cannot be ignored. What happens in the next few weeks is critical. As the Democratic front-runner, Clinton hopes that voters will come out and vote for her rather than see Donald Trump win. This is simply not the case at all. In order to help rebuild the pieces of the party, Clinton or Sanders will need to incorporate each other’s ideas.

RELATED: Support wind energy for our future

Trump thinks that he can win over Sanders’ supporters.  Talking to Fox’s News’s Sean Hannity, he said, “I think a lot of the young people that are with Bernie Sanders are going to come to my side because they want jobs. Bernie Sanders and I agree on one thing, trade, that we don’t know what we’re doing on trade. The difference is, I’ll make great deals out of it, [and] he doesn’t know what to do. The people who are with Bernie Sanders, the young people, I really believe they’re going to come over and vote for me. I think we’re going to have a lot of crossover.”

This is not the case at all. Trump has an unfavorable rating and has not been able to create the same passion among the general populace as Sanders has with his campaign. Sanders has created a voice in the Democratic Party, and we should listen to it.

• Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Opinions

Kumar: Why vaccines should be required

• Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Opinions

Cappel: Life as a conservative in the echo chamber

• Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Opinions

Neal: Are casting calls an act of generosity, or exploitive labor?

• Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Opinions

Shaw: ‘Racially charged’ to ‘racist’ a good AP style shift

• Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Opinions

Hegde: Take care of your health

• Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Opinions

Tietz: Kamala Harris Campaign: My take

• Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Opinions

Banerjee: What does progress actually look like in Iowa City?

• Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Opinions

McComas: Candidates need to focus more on mental health

• Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Opinions

Baller: Why a decision that lasts a lifetime for students should receive more attention and assistance

• Studer: Listen to Sanders’ voice

Opinions

Jaimes: UI students should demand more of presidential hopefuls