Ihm finishes 69th in Texas regional

Amy+Ihm
Amy Ihm

As the women’s golf NCAA Regional in Bryan, Texas came to a close, so did the career of Iowa’s Amy Ihm. The Hawkeyes did not qualify as a team, and she competed individually, finishing in a tie for 69th.

She squared off against players from golf powerhouses Texas A&M, Kent State, Arizona, Georgia, and top-ranked UCLA.

Sixth-ranked Georgia ended up winning the regional with a score of 858 (minus-6), followed by Arizona (864), UCLA (865), Furman (873), Miami (877), and Texas (879).

RELATED: Ihm’s long road to the heights

Ihm had trouble during portions of the course and an up-and-down performance plagued her throughout the tournament.

Ihm started the first day on the back nine, carding a 2-over 38 with birdies on 14 and 18, good enough to place 78th after the first round.

“Today was a tough one,” Ihm said in a release after the May 5 competition. “I hit the ball off the tee very poorly and had too many mistakes with my wedges, which really cost me. My putting saved me a lot today, and I can look at that as a positive for the day.”

While Ihm may not have had the start she wanted, but the second day was an improvement. She recorded a birdie on No. 10, her first hole of the day and continued with a 39 on the back nine.

“Obviously, today was not an ideal day,” Ihm said in a release. “However, besides a few wedges, I struck the ball better today. I had a better start and made some huge putts throughout the round. Tomorrow’s game plan is to just have fun and see how low I can go.”

Her second day garnered her a two-round total of 154 (plus-10), good enough to move up seven spots in the leaderboard heading to the final day.

Ihm tried to continue to climb up the leaderboards as she started the day on the back nine, carding a 40 with birdies on holes 11, 17, and 18. On the front nine, Ihm bogeyed three holes but quickly turned things around with back-to-back birdies on holes four and five to finish at 37.

Ihm ended the day by carding a 5-over 77.

“Today’s score might not have been what I wanted to finish on, but I really enjoyed the day and made the most of the opportunity,” Ihm said in a release. “I can’t let this tournament define my career, and I think it’s important to focus on all the good that happened this year.”

Ihm will walk out of Texas finishing the regional with a three-round total of 231.