Cervantes: No big hoo-rah for celebrities coming out

Via Wikimedia Commons by Puramyun31 https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Colton_Haynes#/media/File:Teen_Wolf_-_Panel_(11).jpg

Christopher Cervantes

There has been one story that has practically dominated newsfeeds for the past week. It has been seen all over every inch of social networks and has spread to the likes of CNN and MSNBC. What groundbreaking story could have possibly caused such a ruckus?

A celebrity came out of the closet and … that’s it.

Colton Haynes is a (Hollywood) young American actor. He is best known for his roles in the shows “Teen Wolf” and, most recently, “Arrow.” He recently came out as gay during an interview with “Entertainment Weekly.” And like a wildfire, it has spread to every available media outlet.

Now normally, I would be happy to see such acceptance in the modern age, where a young man is facing support instead of criticism by not only the media, but also by fans. However, I am boggled at the idea that this is a top story for CNN and has remained so for days. Given the events in the race for a new U.S. president and how the Zika virus is threatening the Olympics, I am most certain that there are more pressing matters than one person’s coming out.

RELATED: Time to get over Tubman & the $20

Frankly, I feel like this is a type of mindset that is similar to the one that first created affirmative action. When affirmative action was introduced to the United States in the 1960s, it was done so to combat racial discrimination. It then acted as a sort of counterbalance to historical inequalities.

And that is exactly how I view this coverage—an example of people trying to make up for the inequalities and persecution that had once plagued, and still continues to plague, the LGBT community.

It’s almost as if there is this existing idea that if celebrities are celebrated for an aspect of their lives, one that they do not have control over, then all the years of hate and violence are just going to be made up for. Sorry, but it is not that easy.

What’s really bugging me about this coverage, though, is how it compares with other news stories regarding the LGBT community. Stories such as the transgender bathroom law in North Carolina, about which news needs to be spread, should dominate the news cycle, not this fluff piece. Now, when something like that happens, how will people who don’t follow LGBT news regularly answer when they are asked about LGBT issues?

Five bucks says that this fluff piece is being cited.

Now, while I do think it is good that a person can come out and not be metaphorically crucified, I have a hard time believing that it is worth nearly five days on CNN.

While some may think that the thunderous applause that came with this coming out may somehow make up for adversity, it doesn’t. You know what would make up for past adversity? Dealing with the current ones. Take that energy that is being used to celebrate and use it to counteract the actions and legislation that are hurting the chances of true equality.

That way, everyone can celebrate.