Big Ten honors Mallett

Iowa runner Aaron Mallett pushes to the finish line in the men’s 110 meter hurdles at the Iowa Musco Invitational in Iowa City on Saturday, May 3. Mallett placed first in the event. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

Aaron Mallett become the second Hawkeye trackster to claim Big Ten Track Athlete of the Week this outdoor season.

The junior shares this weekly award with Brannon Kidder, a  Penn State distance runner.

The award came after a stellar performance in front of a home crowd at the Musco Twilight on April 23, in which he won the 110-meter hurdles and was part of the winning 400-meter relay.

Last season, Mallett set the meet record in the 110-meter hurdles. On April 23, he broke that time with a 13.50 finish, the fourth-fastest time in the country. He leads the conference in the 110 hurdles for the fourth-straight week.

Along with Christian Brissett, James Harrington, and Mar’yea Harris, Mallett’s relay finished in 40.33 seconds in its victory.

Wednesday marks the second time in his outdoor career that Mallett has taken the conference award.

In 2015, Mallett won Big Ten Track Athlete of the Week after running at the Baldy Castillo, competing in the 110-hurdles and the 400-meter relay. He won the hurdles, and the relay placed second.
Mallett and the No. 22 Hawkeyes will head to Des Moines for the Drake Relays, starting today.

— by Adam Hensley