Asian students striving for change at the UI

file
file

University of Iowa students came together Thursday evening for a facilitated discussion on how to respond to discriminatory statements and micro aggressions targeting the Asian community.

The discussion was held at the Asian Pacific American Cultural Center, located at 223 Lucon Ave. Students ranging from international to domestic gathered to bring forward an open discussion with problems regarding the Asian community at the UI.

“The focus of this event is to give people the skills to deal with acts of discrimination,” said UI senior Caitlyn Kavan. “It’s giving people that individualistic approach to make sure they know how to deal with these problems”

The event gave students an opportunity to speak out and converse among one another that resonate with misconceptions and stereotypes they have faced on campus. In addition, students explored and practiced strategies in responding to the microaggressions and discrimination they may have encountered at the UI.

“The idea is to empower the Asian community and to voice out against the stereotypes and giving a platform,” said Amy Chin-Pokhrel, manager of the Asian Pacific American Cultural Center. “Hopefully, as we respond to the negativity and statements, others can embrace diversity.”

During the discussion, small groups were formed and given scenarios pertaining to discriminatory situations stereotyping Asians, such as stereotypes relating to Asians and academics.

“There aren’t a lot of opportunities to talk about specifically Asian American issues. This is just one way to allow students to talk about discrimination they’ve faced on campus,” said Cavan.

Cavan became interested in engaging other students in conversation about Asian stereotypes at the UI after a Twitter account surfaced in 2013 targeting and bashing Asian students in particular at the university. Earlier this school year, Asian students were at conflict with the social media app Yik Yak, where other students were making daily waves of hateful comments toward Asian students at the university.

“My biggest hope is that folks find ways to step into discomfort and service to something that is important,” said Jeremy Kinser, Staff Psychologist at University Counseling Services. “It’s uncomfortable to call someone out, but willingness is needed.”

By standing in solidarity, Cavan thinks that these stereotypes can be countered effectively.