New library system coming to UI

The current University of Iowa Libraries search interfaces will receive a major facelift after 16 years.

UI Libraries will switch to a new library resource management system that will go live in July, consolidating existing features of InfoLink, Smart Search, and InfoHawk, making it the newest system since 2000.

InfoHawk+ will be the new main public interface and online search tool for UI Libraries that will combine all components of current interfaces into one, which primarily aims to support university research, instruction, and learning.

“The library is investing in a new software, and to accompany it will change to a new search system. InfoHawk+ is a new way to search and unfold,” said Jennifer Masada, the UI Libraries strategic-communications manager. “It was just time for an upgrade. The new system has lots of capabilities that the library needs to handle.”

She said the UI Libraries will upgrade its current integrated library system to a management service called Alma, which is created by the ExLibris Group — the current company the university affiliates with regarding library automation solutions.

With the investment of the new system, InfoHawk+ is able to provide intuitive, dependable and comprehensive access to all information. The new system provides a more clear and precise search option for users. Holdings include books, recordings, videos, journals, music, and a wide set of digital preservations.

Sue Julich, the head of Library Information Technologies, said the current library software Aleph, which is also provided by ExLibris Group, is outdated and in need of and upgrade. InfoHawk+ will make it much easier for patrons and users to access information and resources directly, she said.

RELATED: UI bids ISIS adieu

“It’s the next generation library software system,” Julich said. “The old software isn’t meeting the needs we have now, especially with digital items and the different types of records we have.”

The UI is classified as a research-1 institution by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, a list of 115 universities across the United States that conduct the highest research activity.

Masada said the installation of this new library system software is helping keep the university up to date with other peer research institutions, and furthering UI’s credibility as a research intensive and focused school.

“Libraries have to be up to certain speed and offer ways to find, publish and exchange with other researchers,” Masada said. “This would help students find information that they need and also help students discover information that would look for.”

InfoHawk+ features different ways to search, explore, and discover not only all UI Libraries holdings and collections, but also additional informational resources like Iowa Research Online and the Iowa Digital Collections.

The search options of InfoHawk+ will include single-resource searches, broader and advanced searches, and filtered searches all using the new library catalogue interface.