BLOC Party wins UISG election

Tom Jorgensen
The University of Iowa Campus looking west from Old Capitol and the Pentacrest.

The BLOC Party has won this year’s University of Iowa Student Government election.

The executive ticket of president-elect Rachel Zuckerman and vice president-elect Lauren Freeman defeated Yes Party candidates Jon Langel and Elliott Smith.

Zuckerman and Freeman snagged the slots 80.28 percent to 19.72 percent, or 2,312 votes to 568 votes.

All 36 BLOC Party Senate candidates won a seat in addition to independent candidates Mingjian Li and Angel Alicia.

Turnout was down significantly at 13.36 percent of the undergraduate student body. Last year’s close election between the winning REAL Party and the BEACH Party saw a turnout of 30 percent.

FullSizeRender

Zuckerman said it’s a great feeling to win after the campaign.

“It feels amazing,” she said. “Everything is owed to this team and it’s the whole BLOC Party team working together to make this happen. Each one got elected.”

Zuckerman said she’s excited to get to work next year and is already planning for what comes after the win.

“Our next steps are to fill our executive branch and start working on our platform, and we are highly committed to making sure it gets executed in the next year,” she said.

Freeman said the BLOC Party worked for months to achieve their goal of getting elected into office.

“We’re so excited to start getting to work,” she said. “It’s going to be a month of transitions but we’re planning day one to get into office and work on our platform and serve the student body.”

She added the BLOC Party’s diversity within their team will be one of their strengths when they officially take office in the fall.

“We have such a diverse group of people with experiences all across campus that will work really well representing the student voice along with all of our initiatives,” she said.

The BLOC Party’s platform is made up of various initiatives revolved around student life, diversity, campus safety, academics, and accessibility.FullSizeRender-1

Examples include decreasing the number of 7:30 a.m. finals, increase the number of common spaces in Pentacrest buildings, expanding the UI’s use of gender neutral bathrooms, and making UISG more accessible to students on campus.

Not only did the BLOC Party win the presidential ticket, but they took control of the senate too.

Though the majority of senate candidates were BLOC Party members, two independent candidates were elected on the ticket as well.

Mariah Prendergast, a senator for the BLOC Party, said she was relieved to find out she was elected.

“I definitely feel like all of our hard work paid off,” she said. “We all worked hard together and prepared for months. It was nerve wracking waiting to know, but this is the outcome we wanted to see.”