Nitrate strategy working, slowly

%28File%29
(File)

(File)

(File)

Katelyn Weisbrod, [email protected]

Although record-high levels of nitrates in Iowa’s rivers were found during this past year, researchers say the Iowa Nutrient Reduction Strategy is making progress, albeit slowly.

The strategy, implemented in 2013, is attempting to reduce nutrient runoff by 45 percent from several sources, including agriculture.

It’s part of a larger initiative by the Environmental Protection Agency to reduce the amount of nitrogen and phosphorous draining into the Mississippi River and, ultimately, into the Gulf of Mexico. Iowa and the nine states bordering the Mississippi River are responsible for establishing their own strategies to meet this goal.

Several approaches and methods have been put in place around the state, but 2015 still showed some of the highest nitrate levels in history.

Keith Schilling, a research scientist in the University of Iowa IIHR-Hydroscience and Engineering department, said this record-breaking season is not a sign that the strategy has been unsuccessful: he attributed it to an unusually warm and wet year.

“There’s still a lot of nitrogen in the soil that needs to be flushed out, so it takes years for change to come,” Schilling said. “It takes time for water quality to change in the system, so for every one of these practices, there’s a lag time associated with it.”

IIHR research scientist Chris Jones said there are approximately 30 million acres of crops in Iowa, but there is less than $50 million available in state funding and farmer contributions that’s been put into the project.

“From a monetary perspective, that gives us an idea of how large and difficult this problem will be to solve,” he said.

Although there is no set timeframe yet on the strategy, Schilling said, he anticipates it will probably be at least 20 years before there are any significant improvements in nitrate levels.

RELATED: Students’ hydroponic lettuce heads to dorms

Despite these numbers, John Lawrence, an associate dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Iowa State University, said the strategy has made progress on practices that will eventually have an effect.

Several strategies to reduce nutrient runoff were put in place this year across the state, he said.

“There are a number of practices that will ultimately lead to a reduction, but they can be overrun by weather,” Lawrence said. “If we had a normal weather year, we would have had less nitrogen in the water than we did five years ago, before we put these practices in place.”

Although these practices have been adopted widely around the state, it still is not nearly to the level that developers are hoping to reach, Jones said.

Katelyn Weisbrod, Managing Editor

Twitter: @katelyn_eliz

Katelyn Weisbrod is the Managing Editor at The Daily Iowan. Katelyn is a senior at the University of Iowa and has been a part of the DI since her freshman year. She covered sustainability and environmental issues as a news reporter for one year, and served as news editor for a year. As managing editor, she focuses on digital strategy and production of long-form articles, while still reporting on environmental issues.

• Nitrate strategy working, slowly

Fresh Check Day aims to lessen the stigma about mental health

• Nitrate strategy working, slowly

UI earns 4 out of 5 stars for LGBTQ friendliness

• Nitrate strategy working, slowly

State budget a debacle in gubernatorial race

• Nitrate strategy working, slowly

Researchers examine drivers’ understanding of vehicle safety systems

• Nitrate strategy working, slowly

UIHC surgeons operate on patients in need in Honduras

• Nitrate strategy working, slowly

City Council

Iowa City flower supports two black-and-gold mascots: Honeybees and Herky

• Nitrate strategy working, slowly

UI Hospitals & Clinics

Rival Iowa volleyball teams raise $700 for Holden Cancer Center

• Nitrate strategy working, slowly

Crime/Courts

Tiffin man accused of stealing lottery tickets

• Nitrate strategy working, slowly

Crime/Courts

Blotter: Oct. 16

• Nitrate strategy working, slowly

UI president discusses fraternity suspensions, safety on campus