Peters aims at moderates, independents

Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District spans portions of central and southeast Iowa. It includes the cities of Davenport, Iowa City, Muscatine, Fort Madison and Burlington. (The Daily Iowan/File graphic)

Coralville surgeon and former Libertarian Party National Committee member Chris Peters vows to bring a positive-minded, moderate Republican fight to Congress if elected this year in Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District.

Peters, 55, is a surgeon and the owner of Corridor Surgery and Vein Center. The native of Lawrence, Kansas, is not nearly so well-known as the Democratic incumbent, Rep. Dave Loebsack of Iowa City. He was an independent and Libertarian before becoming a registered Republican.

Here are five things to know about Peters:

Independent voters:

Peters will run a campaign focused on appealing to independent-minded voters in the district and those fed up with the two-party (Republican and Democratic) system, he said this week. While ophthalmologist Mariannette Miller-Meeks — who ran against Loebsack three times, most recently in 2014 — was seen as an establishment Republican candidate, Peters said an antiestablishment choice is needed in the district, because a large bloc of no-party voters lives there.

Rand Paul ally:

Peters supported Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., in person and financially in Paul’s bid for president during the run-up to the 2016 Iowa caucuses. He said he admires the Kentucky lawmaker and if elected, would want to emulate the work of Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., a libertarian, gun-rights advocate who is known for driving around his home state in a Tesla and supporting bipartisan legislation in the House.

Marijuana supporter:

Peters supports federal marijuana rescheduling and supports states’ power to regulate marijuana. Peters said marijuana users should not be incarcerated and suggested small fines should be distributed in cities and states that do not permit marijuana use.

Dove or hawk? Neither:

Chris Peters (File)
Chris Peters (File)

Peters, who has worked at a military hospital, said he doesn’t like being labeled a “dove” or “hawk,” two political terms often attached to politicians based on their foreign-policy positions. “Hawks” are those who advocate a firm foreign policy based supported by a strong military. “Doves,” on the other hand, try to resolve international conflicts without the threat of military action. Peters was opposed to the 2003 invasion of Iraq that signaled the start of the Iraq War. But he supported the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan that followed the 9/11 terrorist attacks. He was an officer in the U.S. Army medical corps for nine years.

Supreme Court: