Hawk swimmers fall a bit short

The CRWC holds a scrimmage between the black and gold team of the Iowa swim team. The gold team and black team battle it out during the relay on Oct. 9, 2015. (Daily Iowan/Glenn Sonnie Wooden)

The Iowa swimming and diving team ended the first day of the NCAA meet with a disappointing 21st place finish in the 400-medley relay.

The quartet of senior Roman Trussov, redshirt freshman Kenneth Mende, sophomore Jerzy Twarowski, and freshman Jack Smith had the 14th-fastest time in the event heading into the championships at 3:07.83 but failed to qualify for the final of the event after placing outside of the top 16. The Hawkeyes swam the event in 3:10.06.

The Hawkeyes had hopes of being crowned All-Americans in the event. Each team that qualifies for finals — the top 16 — earns that honor.

The quartet’s NCAA qualifying time of 3:07.83, a school record, would have been good enough to place them 15th.

Three Big Ten teams qualified for the finals in the event.

Indiana was sixth with a time of 3:05.90, Michigan was 12th at 3:07.34, and Ohio State was 15th at 3:07.91.

The same four Hawkeyes will be back in the pool competing in the 200-medley relay, and Trussov will swim in the 100 breaststroke.