Big Ten title doesn’t satisfy Clark

Alex Kroeze
Iowa 133-pounder Cory Clark throws down Illinois’ Zane Richards during the championship match of the Big Ten Championships at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, March 6, 2016. Clark defeated Richards in overtime 2-1. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

Cory Clark won the 133-pound Big Ten championship Sunday, giving Iowa its first individual title since 2014.

By Jordan Hansen

Cory Clark got to celebrate his 133-pound Big Ten title not once on the mat, but twice.

The first time, he popped up from the floor, celebrating after an excruciating battle to keep Illinois’ Zane Richards from escaping in tiebreakers, preserving his 2-1 victory. Then, however, the Illini coaches wanted the referees to review whether the wrestlers had locked hands, which is a technical violation.

The loud Iowa crowd in Carver-Hawkeye didn’t immediately notice the little red flag being waved and roared as the junior began celebrating. Cheers dimmed and turned to boos, though, as the Hawkeye faithful realized what was happening.

Several minutes later, they got the chance to erupt again, as Clark’s hand was officially raised, becoming Iowa’s first individual Big Ten Champion since Tony Ramos in 2014. Coincidentally, Ramos also won his title at 133 pounds.

“It’s a unique feeling,” Clark said. “It’s almost like the work and stuff I’ve been putting in throughout the year, you feel it pay off. It’s kind of a hard feeling to explain.

“It’s almost a little bit of relief.”

Even with the title, Clark was adamant he wasn’t close to being done with his season. After all, he was the runner-up at the NCAA Tournament last season at the weight.

His disappointment with his performance in the title match last season has long been a motivation for Clark, who hadn’t finished better than third at the conference tournament until Sunday.

030516wrestle2

“It’s easier to move forward with success than it is failure,” 184-pounder Sammy Brooks said after winning Iowa’s other individual Big Ten Championship. “It was sweet wrestling here and getting this opportunity.”

Iowa head coach Tom Brands was happy with Clark’s and Brooks’ individual titles, but the idea there is still more out there to accomplish is very alive and well.

“It’s a badge on honor, not the badge of honor, but it’s a badge of honor,” Brands said. “It’s a tribute to them.”

The win was also revenge for an earlier loss this season. Richards beat Clark 5-3 in overtime earlier this season during a Jan. 8 dual and was trying to repeat.

Clark wasn’t about to let that happen. Despite the low scoring match, there was plenty of activity from both wrestlers, and the officials called no stall warnings.

In the time Clark wasn’t desperately trying to fend off shots from Richards, he was trying to create offense of his own. A talented defensive wrestler, Richards hardly gave Clark any sort of opportunity to put up points, one of the major reasons the bout went into overtime.

After trading shots and feints for the first minute of sudden victory, Clark managed to escape in just four seconds against Richards during the first tiebreaker round. He still had to keep Richards from doing anything during the second round, but the points required for the win were already Clark’s.

“I’m not really even satisfied with how I won the match,” Clark said. “I’m a hard person to satisfy. I got to get a takedown, got to get some points on the board. No reason that it had to go to overtime.”

Unsatisfied or not, Clark’s and Brooks’ names will now be added to one of two boards that hang in the Iowa wrestling room.

One is for Big Ten titles; the other is for NCAA titles. There’s more to accomplish, yes, but it should say something that those two boards are right next to each other in a place of prominence in the room.

Quite a lot, actually.