Bell tapped as football recruiting coordinator

University of Iowa Athletics
Iowa Hawkeyes head coach Kirk Ferentz talks with graduate assistant Kelvin Bell during the team’s 13th Outback Bowl Practice Saturday, Dec. 28, 2013 as they prepare to face the LSU Tigers in Tampa. (Brian Ray/hawkeyesports.com)

Kirk Ferentz has named a recruiting coordinator. 

By Jordan Hansen

After a month of searching, the Iowa football team has decided on Kelvin Bell as its next recruiting coordinator.

Following former linebacker coach Jim Reid’s departure to Boston College and his position being subsequently filled by former recruiting coordinator Seth Wallace, a spot was open on the staff. Bell — a former Iowa lineman — spent the last two seasons as the Hawkeyes’ director of on-campus recruiting, and it didn’t take long for the team to decide on him.

“In 2012, Coach Ferentz gave me a chance to return to Iowa football as a graduate assistant,” Bell said in a release. “I was thrilled to be able to work for one of the best men in this profession and contribute to the success of my alma mater. My experiences these past four years, both on and off the field, have been invaluable toward my development in the coaching profession. I’m thankful for the opportunity to continue my career as a member of the Iowa football coaching staff.”

Bell has extensive coaching experience and will also be a defensive assistant coach. The past two seasons saw him spend time with Iowa’s special teams, a unit that was drastically improved this year.

The Olive Branch, Mississippi, native graduated with a B.A. in mathematics from Iowa in 2005 and earned a master’s in sports management two years ago.

After originally leaving Iowa in 2005, Bell coached at Iowa City Regina as an assistant. He then moved on to Cornell College in 2006 and then Wayne College (Nebraska) in 2008. Following those two stops, he spent time coaching at Trinity International University and then time interning with four NFL teams.

“Kelvin will be a very positive addition to our coaching staff,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said in a release.  “As a former player and an Iowa graduate, he possesses an extensive understanding of our Hawkeye football culture, which is built on character, academics, and player development.”