Men’s, women’s tennis dominate weekend competition

The Iowa men and women’s tennis team’s combined for three wins in weekend completion.

The men defeated SIU-Edwardsville 7-0 and Western Michigan 6-1 in a doubleheader. Dominic Patrick, Iowa’s No. 1, won both of his matches, defeating Tristan Houle of SIUE in straight sets.

Patrick, however, dropped his first set against Western Michigan’s Jefta Kecic before winning his next two.

“It was a good effort for Dom to lose that tight first set and then show mental toughness and come back and win, 6-1, 6-1,” Iowa head coach Ross Wilson said in a release.

Iowa’s only loss of the day came at the No. 5 spot, as the Bronco’s Ruben Greiner took down Jonas Larsen in straight sets.

“We were very mentally tough, played with good energy, and we showed discipline tonight. I was happy with that,” Wilson said in a release.

Oddly enough, the only loss for the women’s team came at the No. 5 spot as well. The Hawkeyes beat Eastern Michigan 6-1, improving to 3-0 on the young season.

At the No. 1 spot, Iowa’s Anastasia Reimchen won in straight sets, as did Annette Dohanics, Kristen Thoms and Zoe Douglas at the 2-4 spots.

“This was a strong win for us,” Iowa head coach Katie Dougherty said in a release. “There were points in both singles and doubles where it was 4-3 or 3-3 and those were the momentum shifts we were able to make. It ultimately decided which direction we were headed. We competed really well and credit to Eastern Michigan, they’re a good team.”

—Jordan Hansen