Students gather to discuss black experience on campus

file
file

The achievements of black students at the University of Iowa over the course of its history have not gone unnoticed.

Students and members of the Chief Diversity Office and Division of Student Life gathered on Wednesday at the Pappajohn Business Building to speak about the experiences of many black students at the UI.

The event was open to all students, including black students, who came together to discuss their experiences on campus.

“It went well. It was a good space for people to share their stories and learn the contributions of black folk at the University of Iowa,” said Tabitha Wiggins, multicultural initiatives coordinator for UI Division of Student Life.

The session began with introductions; attendees gave their name, role on campus, and their pronouns of reference.

“We’re going to build a sense of community here,” said Kendra Malone, diversity resources coordinator for the UI Chief Diversity Office.

The session included celebrating the history and accomplishments of the black community, discussing challenges and systems of oppression, and a call to action in regards to those issues.

Participants also discussed their own personal stories.

The DI was politely asked to leave during the session, out of respect to the sensitive topics being discussed.

Kyra Seay, organizer for the Black in Business Series and a worker for the Chief Diversity Office, said it’s important for people to come together and talk about their black experiences.