Martin O’Malley supporters stay positive

The Daily Iowan has reporters around Iowa City and Des Moines covering Iowa’s first-in-the-nation caucuses.

The DI has spoken with individuals caucusing for Democratic candidate Martin O’Malley, the former mayor of Batimore and governor of Maryland.

“We’ve got three good candidates and I’d be happy with any of them. I’ve caucused a lot. The first time was when Ted Kennedy was challenging Jimmy Carter,” said Kay Schneider, 78, at the Pomerantz Center.

“I’m really excited to see this many people caucusing,” said Morgan Brittain, the vice president of the University of Iowa Student Government. “The support for him is yet to be seen its going to be hard to form preference group just because the room is just so full.”

Others, however, acknowledged that their support for him was up in the air.

I saw O’Malley in Coralville, and I really liked his take on climate change. He framed it as a business opportunity that I think could bring the parties together,” said Kaitlyn Simpson, 22, at the Robert A. Lee Rec Center. “He’s more practical because he has more experience and is more realistic than Sanders.” She said she will switch to another candidate if O’Malley can’t get the require 15 percent support for viability.

“I’ll probably move to Bernie if O’Malley doesn’t workout. I’ve been paying more attention to his policies. They’ve been advertised more by my friends and the media,” said Rebecca Cisneros, 19, a first time caucus-goer at MacBride Hall.