Metro briefs

A police car sits inside the a parking garage on May 4, 2015. (The Daily Iowan/Sergio Flores)

Man faces drug charge

Iowa City police have accused an Iowa City man of possessing a large amount of marijuana.

Sullivan Smith-Berry, 23, 2230 Hollywood Blvd., was charged Sunday with possession and intent to deliver marijuana, no more than 50 kilograms.

At 5:45 p.m. on Jan. 17, officers executed a narcotics search at Smith-Berry’s address. On his person, officers reportedly located approximately $150 and several wrapped bags of a green leafy substance that appeared to be marijuana.

Under Miranda, Smith-Berry reportedly admitted the marijuana was for sale and that he had been selling marijuana for several weeks.

During the search, officers also allegedly found small bags with a substance that appeared to be cocaine packaged for sale. There was also approximately $50 with the cocaine. Authorities said the product was field tested and tested positive for cocaine.

Smith-Berry allegedly admitted the bag the cocaine was found was his and said the money was from drug sales. He also said the cocaine was his, but it was for personal use.

Possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver is a Class-D felony.

— by Tom Ackerman

Man faces domestic-assault charge

Authorities have accused an Iowa City man of domestic-abuse assault.

Shawn Martin, 31, 812 Benton Drive No. 12, was charged with restricting air/blood flow to a person’s throat.

On Jan. 16 at 7:54, Martin arrived at his residence, where he lives with the woman. Martin allegedly shoved her into the kitchen and the woman, who has been in a relationship with Martin for five years, backed away into the bathroom.

Martin reportedly took the woman to the floor and placed his hands around her throat, making it difficult for her to breathe. He left the scene before police arrived. The woman had red marks on her neck.

Martin was convicted of domestic-abuse assault, impending airway, on Feb. 22, 2013, and domestic battery in Illinois on June 8, 2009.

Domestic-abuse assault is a Class-D felony.

— by Tom Ackerman

Area man charged with forgery

Coralville police have accused a man of committing forgery.

Patrick Mulengwa, 31, 920 W. Cherry St. No. 6, was charged with forging checks to receive money.

On Jan. 1, Mulengwa reportedly obtained a to-be-determined number of blank checks belonging to a person while in that person’s home as a health-care provider.

Mulengwa allegedly wrote at least four checks payable to himself, forging the person’s signature, totaling $6,448.25. Mulengwa was confronted about the activity and reportedly made statements against self-interest while under Miranda.

Forgery is a Class-D felony.

— by Tom Ackerman

Man charged with third OWI

Authorities have accused an Iowa City man with OWI.

Robert Burns, 34, Lone Tree, was charged with operating a truck under the influence, third offense.

On Jan. 16, the reporting officer observed a Chevrolet truck with no license plates traveling east on Sandusky Drive. At a stop sign, the vehicle turned north onto Taylor Drive, where the vehicle was stopped to verify registration.

Burns did not have a valid license, and he is barred from driving as a habitual offender from April 2, 2014, to March 31, 2017. The officer reported Burns having slurred speech, bloodshot, watery eyes, and an odor of ingested alcohol from inside the vehicle.

Burns refused all tests. Burns refused a breath test at 11:46 p.m.

Third-offense OWI is a Class-D felony.

— by Tom Ackerman