Hawkeyes fly in Iowa Dual

Iowa’s Aaron Mallett prepares for the men’s 60-meter hurdles during the Iowa Dual meet on Jan. 16 in the Recreation Building. Mallett finished first with a time of 7.82. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

On Jan. 15 and 16, the Iowa track teams snared 13 victories in the Iowa Dual in the Recreation Building against Western Illinois and Iowa Central.

No team points were totaled.

“We used this meet as a steppingstone for building toward the season,” Iowa Director of Track and Field Joey Woody said in a release. “It’s good to come out here and continue to build on last week.”

Iowa’s Aaron Mallett, a cornerstone, won the men’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 7.82., good enough for a facility record and tying him for fourth in the nation.

In the field events, Avery Meyers claimed first place in the shot put, tossing for 57-6.5. He also placed fifth in the discus.

Four Hawkeye freshmen turned heads in their second time competing for the Hawkeyes. Christian Brissett (first, 21.87) and DeJuan Frye (22.05) stole the show in the 200 meters, claiming the top two spots. Mar’yea Harris won the 400 meters (49.12), and Andy Jatis won the pole vault (15.04).

Senior Mitch Wolff took home the victory in the 600 meters. His time of 1:21.78 beat Hawkeyes Ryan Dorman (1:21.95) and Drake Gauthier (1:22.41).

The Hawkeye women also flashed excellent showings in nearly every event. Senior Lake Kwaza started the Iowa Dual winning the 60 meters (7.48). Freshman Briana Guillory followed that up by winning the 200 meters (24.44).

The Hawkeyes continued their success with freshman Alexis Gray finishing second in the 400 meters (1:00.61) and junior Elexis Guster taking the top spot in the 600 meters. Guster’s time of 1:32.04 puts her eighth on Iowa’s all-time list.

To close the running events, the squad of Guster, Guillory, junior Alexis Hernandez, and Kwaza dominated the 4×400-meter relay (3:45.85).

Iowa continued its winning ways with a season-best performance from Khanishah Williams in the high jump. The graduate student finished with a leap of 5-8.

“It feels great; it’s a relief, actually,” Williams said in a release. “When I opened the season, I only jumped 5-3, but I still had a lot of problems with foot placement and how I got over the bar. It’s been overwhelming, because not only do I have to relearn another side, I have to do everything different technically. It’s been challenging, but I’ve been working through it. This week just opened my eyes to what I can do, and I’m excited.”

In the field events, Amy Smith and Leah Colbert both joined Iowa history. Freshman Smith, the lone competitor in the pole vault, had a personal best 10-10, sixth all-time at Iowa.

Sophomore Colbert also joined the Iowa’s top-performers’ list with a throw of 52-2.05 in the weight throw, 10th in school history.

The Hawkeyes’ focus now turns to the next meet. Iowa will travel to Ames for the Big Four Duals on Saturday.