Track teams add recruits

Although Iowa coaches are still targeting recruits for the spring recruiting period, here’s what they’ve brought in the fall recruiting period:
Women
The Hawkeye women’s vertical jumps and multi-event group added depth to its already talented roster with newcomers Sydney Collins, Aubrianna Lantrip, Christina MacNab, Megan Tamasovich, Gillian Urycki, and Allison Wahrman.

Currently, the Hawks only have six athletes for the jump events, and adding depth, obviously, will create more competition.

The middle-distance crew welcomes six new members on the women’s side. The crew added Taylor Arco (Mission Viejo, California), Amber Decker (Marion), Mallory King (Davenport), Tia Saunders (Iowa City), Hannah Schroeder (Elkader, Iowa(, and Lindsay Welker (Terre Haute, Indiana).

At the moment, the Hawkeyes only have two middle-distance runners on the roster. At the Dec 5 Black & Gold Intrasquad meet, sprinters Alexis Hernandez, Lake Kwaza, and Elexis Guster ran in 1,600-meter relays, a middle-distance race.

With the lack of middle-distance runners, depth and injuries could be a concern for the Hawkeyes this season. With next year’s middle-distance additions, the coaches will have more options.

“I thought we did a good job [recruiting] in the middle-distance especially on the women’s side,” recruiting coordinator Jason Wakenight said.

For the field events, the Hawks brought in Erika Hammond and Laulauga Tausaga. And to round out the roster the Hawks will welcome, Natalia Buss (sprints), Tashee Hargrave (sprints), Carly Donahue (hurdles), and Hannah Schilb (horizontal jumps).

“Natalia Buss and Hargrave are two exciting gets for our program,” associate coach Clive Roberts said.

Men

With much more depth on the men’s squad, the recruiting season wasn’t nearly so busy as on the women’s team.

The men will welcome Charles Guier, Gavin Hoch, Chris Thompson, and Tysen VanDraska.

Guier is a long sprinter from Sedalia, Missouri and was a finalist in the 400 meters at Missouri Class 4A State Meet. Thompson, a Lemont, Illinois, native and also a long sprinter is an Illinois state finalist and is ranked 33rd nationally.

Hurdler Hoch, a Lake Forest, Illinois, product, is an Illinois state finalist and is ranked 25th nationally. VanDraska of Swisher, who will compete as a middle-distance runner, is an Iowa Class 4A state runner-up in the 800 and 1,600 meters and cross-country.

In the field events, Josh Pelock joins the men’s team as a pole vaulter, and Akinshe Hill joins the long jump and triple jump squad. Pelock, of St. Charles, Illinois, placed third at the Illinois Class 3A State Meet. He is ranked 33rd nationally. Hill, a native of Chesapeake, Virginia, will add depth to the horizontal jump squad.

“We did a really job filling a bunch of needs,” Wakenight said. “The sprint and hurdles are two areas will focus on for the spring recruiting. We want to add more depth on both the men’s and women’s side in those areas.”