Finals week stress

Bluestocking
Hand completing a multiple choice exam.

The end of each semester is marked by a noticeable influx of intensely sleep-deprived, wild-eyed, and caffeine-saturated students sprinting for the academic finish line, hoping to make their last good effort and squeeze every point they can out of their classes.

Finals week has gotten the better of even the most prepared and level-headed students, who see the final round of testing as their make-or-break moment, that can determine the difference between a plus or a minus, an A or a B, a pass or a fail.

It’s easy to succumb to the stress and pressure, but a crucial component to success during finals is keeping a grip on the focus and concentration required to recall a semester’s worth of content.

Some students feel the effect more strongly than others.

UI freshman Olivia Wagner classifies her stress at “an eight out of ten.” Despite feeling confident in her current subject, she’s “the kind of person who wants to be as prepared as possible, going the whole nine yards to not eat or sleep,” she said.

[youtube id=”WNNJaVcljOY” mode=”normal” autoplay=”yes”]

This is a tactic practiced by many students, but can quickly takes a toll on the mind and its ability to concentrate and retain information.

“Lack of sleep makes me go crazy,” Wagner said. “I’m worried I’ll meet my crashing point during the test.”

Wagner said she knows this strategy is risky, but has her sights set on lofty goals.

“I’m aiming for 100 percent on all my finals.”

Fellow freshman Addie Neal said she shares Wagner’s sentiments about losing precious sleep, and considers power naps an academic necessity.

“You can spare one or two hours or your body shuts down,” she said.

Both girls have unique ways of dealing with stress. Neal’s attitude is light-hearted, and she said she believes all a student can do is their best and accept what comes out of it.

“I tell myself having a mental breakdown won’t help; whatever happens, happens,” she said.

Neal said other helpful additions to her finals week schedule such as running and listening to music keep her from being overwhelmed as well.

Wagner said she prefers to meet her problems head-on.