Hawk gymnastics teams launch seasons

Iowa gymnast Cyrus Dober-Mofid chalks his hands before hitting the parallel bars in Carver-Hawkeye on Feb. 1 2015. Dober-Mofid has been one of the most consistent gymnasts this season. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Iowa’s gymnastics teams are set to begin their seasons with the annual intrasquad meet, which will present coaches and athletes an opportunity to work out the kinks prior to the regular season.

The GymHawks will have a larger roster than they have had in recent years. With 22 women on the roster, the intrasquad this weekend could play a large role in who makes the cut.

“[The large squad] is a great thing but also a bad thing,” head coach Larissa Libby said in a release. “While we are looking to give everyone a shot, we need to really evaluate how the girls perform in these circumstances, and from there, we can choose the most effective competitors.”

[youtube id=”Uert0mRX_2c” mode=”normal” autoplay=”yes”]

Saturday’s competition will serve as both a sort of final cut and a fun way for the players to get ready for the regular season, which will begin at an earlier-than-usual date of Jan. 2.

The men’s squad will seek to follow up last year’s stellar season with an even better one this year. Iowa finished sixth in the nation as a team last season, and it returns All-American Jack Boyle.

The women’s intrasquad will begin Saturday at 11 a.m. in the Field House, while the men’s meet will commence at 3 p.m. in the same location.