Big shoes to fill for hoops

Iowa guard Samantha Logic goes up for a layup against Miami guard Suriya McGuire during the second round game of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, March 22, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Hurricanes, 88-70 advancing to Sweet Sixteen in Oklahoma City . (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

The Hawks need to fill the big spots of Sam Logic, Bethany Doolittle, and Melissa Dixon.
By Mario Williams
[email protected]Key losses:

Sam Logic

Logic will be the most obvious absence when the 2015-16 campaign kicks off. She had a certain skill and spark whenever her shoes (and mind) touched the court. What she brought to the Iowa program in her four years will be remembered forever, and hopefully, the Hawkeyes gained a lot from her presence.

The Atlanta Dream draftee came into her senior season being talked about, and she gave people reason to do even more talking.

Logic was one of the top-four scorers last season, averaging 13.4 points per game and tallying 63 steals, 12 blocks, and 276 assists on the year.

The senior guard played unselfishly and knew how to get her teammates going on the court. Her presence will be one of, if not the most, missed this season.

Bethany Doolittle

Doolittle’s presence in the post will be a big factor this season. She was a 6-4 center who rebounded and blocked tremendously. She has the record for most blocks recorded in a single season by a senior (94), second all-time in career blocks (278), 15th in career rebounds (650), and she is ranked eighth in Big Ten history in career blocks and 15th in career rebounds.

Aside from her defensive expertise, she wasn’t afraid to shoot, either. Doolittle average 14.1 points last season, one of the top-four averages on the team.

Her defensive presence and post game was huge for Iowa last season, and newcomers will need to fill that role.

Key additions:

Tania Davis

Davis comes in the program being spoken about from observers and teammates. She’s quick (which is basically what Iowa’s offense is), she can transition well, and she’s unselfish.

Many people have compared her skills with what Logic did but don’t get too carried away yet. She can possible take on the role as a solid point guard as Logic was, but their skills may be different.

She comes in this season being named Michigan Miss Basketball and was ranked the 36th best guard in her class by ESPN’s Top 40.

She was her high school’s all-time leading scorer and assists leader. She averaged 18.9 points, 6.3 assists, 4.2 rebounds, and 3.2 steals per game.

Fans may see a lot of Davis on the court and taking on a role early on as a freshman this season.

Megan Gustafson

Gustafson adds more height and pressure in the post for the Hawks, which is something they’ll need, after losing Doolittle.

The freshman is a left-handed 6-3 forward who can possibly play center as well. She comes in this season being ranked the No. 12 recruit in the country at her position. She was the only player in the state of Wisconsin to accumulate 3,000 points, and aside from points, she’s racked up 1,724 rebounds and 628 blocks during her high-school seasons.

Gustafson should get a lot of playing time because the Hawks need more aggression down low, especially when the Hawkeyes need to slow down their fast-paced offense.