Women’s hoops not befret

Womens hoops not befret

The expectations may not be high for the Iowa women’s basketball team coming off a successful season, but the Hawkeyes don’t mind.

One of the main topics at the team’s annual media day Thursday was how the team will adapt without its dominating trio from last season, Melissa Dixon, Bethany Doolittle, and Sam Logic.
There’s no denying all three seniors played a huge part in the team’s success last season. They were three of the top-four scorers on the squad, were the all-time leading trio in Big Ten history, and led the Hawkeyes to a Sweet 16, its first in 19 years.

Their absence is undoubtedly part of the reason the Hawkeyes are doubted, but their unselfishness and devotion to the program didn’t go unnoticed.

Now, it’s on to a new season, with four freshmen adding some spark to the team, and the Hawkeyes want to ensure that their future isn’t “doom and gloom.”

Coming into the 2015-16 season, Iowa is ranked No. 23 on the USA Today Coaches’ Poll. Though it finished last season ranked No. 11, many count the team out.

But junior Ally Disterhoft was rather dismissive about the talk on whether the Hawks will be successful. She said the Hawkeyes are ready to head to the court with a chips on their both their shoulders.

Disterhoft was Iowa’s leading scorer last season, averaging 14.8 points.

“I’m super excited to prove everyone wrong, quite honestly,” the co-captain said. “Our seniors were incredible players, we honored them, and they made last year extremely special. It’s a new year, and it happens every year.”

While head coach Lisa Bluder said the trio’s absence will definitely missed, she noted it’s been a challenge not having their experience around for the younger athletes of the program.

“You grow together so much in four years, and they become like your daughters, so you don’t like to see them leave your program,” the head coach said. “You have to explain things more often because they just don’t know yet as freshmen and sophomores. They haven’t been there. That doesn’t mean they won’t get there, that just means they haven’t been there yet.”

But Bluder remains confident in what her team can do this season.

The three seniors may be gone, and perhaps it’s challenging without their experience, but it’ll be a case of reloading oppose to rebounding for the Hawkeyes.

Bluder said that she once heard someone classify Kirk Ferentz’s program as a “developmental program” and believes her program is similar.

“We bring players in here that may not be top-10 players in the country, and we develop them, and we take great pride in that,” she said. “I think our staff does a great job of developing players, and that takes time.”

One freshman in particular, Tania Davis, who may see playing time, is ready to develop. She said she wants to finish as Logic did, as far as being a vocal leader, and she’s sticking to the unselfish basketball that Iowa is known for.

“I want to be able to put my teammates in positions where they’ll be great and successful,” Davis said. “Things are going to be tough, but I’m ready for the challenge.”

Follow @marioxwilliams on Twitter for Iowa women’s basketball news, updates, and analysis.