Women’s cross-country finish seventh at Bradley

Brooklynn Kascel
The University of Iowa Women’s Cross Country team warms up before the start of the 3k race at the Ashton Cross Country Course in Iowa City, Iowa on Friday, Sep. 4, 2015

Iowa finished among 30 teams at the Bradley Pink Classic on Oct.16.

Illinois State won the meet, Oakland placed second, and Loyola finished third. The Bradley Pink Classic served as the first 6,000-meter race for the Hawkeyes this season.

Sophomore Maidson Waymire finished 17th (21.08.8) and was Iowa’s top runner. Waymire has placed as Iowa’s top runner in every competition this season.

Waymire was followed by junior captain Tess Wilberding, finishing 24th (21:16.9). Freshman Andrea Shine finished 44th (21:40.2).

The rest of the team was rounded out with two sophomores, Kelly Breen finishing (63rd) and Alana Jones (66th).

Although the results might not show it, the Hawkeyes are continuing to make steady improvement.

Overall, head coach Layne Anderson was impressed with his team’s performance.

“The women took a nice step forward and are feeling better about their season,” Anderson said in a release. “We’ve been racing like we’ve been training. They did some nice things at Notre Dame and are continuing to build some good momentum.”

The Hawks now have a two-week break from competition. After completing the regular season, they will prepare for the Big Ten Championships on Nov. 1.

“We will use this time to get race sharp, rested and refreshed for the Big Ten Championships, and continue to build confidence,” Anderson said in a release. “We have individuals who are in outstanding shape; they just need to get out there and race how they train.