Around the Big Ten

1) Ohio State (3-0): Quarterback issues or not, Urban Meyer has built a top-five defense in Columbus. That alone might carry it this season.

2) Michigan State (3-0): Connor Cook has 8 touchdowns against just one interception so far this year. #Cook4Heisman lives on.

3) Wisconsin (2-1): The Badgers have allowed 3 points since losing to Alabama. Hawaii probably won’t add much to that number.

4) Iowa (3-0): A 4-0 start seems in the cards. After that comes a game with huge Big Ten West implications. Buckle up.

5) Northwestern (3-0): Northwestern, which has arguably the worst offense in the Big Ten, should not be nationally ranked. Yet, here we are.

6) Minnesota (3-0): Beating a team by 3 points that Illinois beat by 49 points isn’t ideal. Especially when that team is Kent State.

7) Nebraska (1-2): Someone should ask Mike Riley what’s worse — mounting a huge comeback and then losing in overtime or losing on a Hail Mary as the clock expires.

8) Michigan (2-1): With the kind of defense and running game the Wolverines have, they might be a force down the road. BYU will be a good test for them.

9) Penn State (2-1, 1-0 Big Ten): Somehow, Penn State drew 103,323 people to watch a game with Rutgers.

10) Maryland (2-1): A win over South Florida means something. Not a lot but something.

11) Illinois: (2-1): It was reality check time for Illinois against North Carolina. What happened? It lost, 48-14.

12) Indiana (3-0): Statistically, Nate Sudfeld is among the best quarterbacks in the Big Ten. We’ll see how long that lasts.

13) Purdue (1-2): The Boilermakers hung with Virginia Tech for most of the first half. Then things slid off the rails. Heh.

14) Rutgers (1-2): Having second thoughts, Jim?

Offensive impact:

Name: Aaron Burbridge, Michigan State

Position: Wide receiver

Year: Senior

Burbridge had 8 catches for 156 yards and 3 touchdowns last weekend against Air Force. He leads the Big Ten in receiving yards and receiving touchdowns while averaging nearly 7 catches a game so far this season.

Defensive impact:

Name: Carl Nassib, Penn State

Position: Defensive line

Year: Senior

Nassib, who started his Nittany Lion career as a walk-on, is having himself one hell of a start to the season. His 5 sacks rank first in the conference. Nassib has also tallied an interception, 2 fumbles, and 7 tackles for loss.

Game to watch: No. 22 BYU at Michigan

When: 11 a.m. Saturday
Where: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Watch: ABC