Men’s cross-country finishes second

Men’s cross-country finishes second

Purdue runner Caleb Kerr and Iowa runners Nate Ferree and Ben Anderson compete against each other at the Big 10 conference cross country meet on Sunday, Nov. 2, 2014. Michigan State won the women's  title, and Wisconsin claimed the men's title. For individual titles, Michigan State runner Leah O'Conner won the women's race, and Wisconsin runner Malachy Schrobilgen won the men's race. (The Daily Iowan/John Theulen)

Purdue runner Caleb Kerr and Iowa runners Nate Ferree and Ben Anderson compete against each other at the Big 10 conference cross country meet on Sunday, Nov. 2, 2014. Michigan State won the women's title, and Wisconsin claimed the men's title. For individual titles, Michigan State runner Leah O'Conner won the women's race, and Wisconsin runner Malachy Schrobilgen won the men's race. (The Daily Iowan/John Theulen)

Adam Hensley, [email protected]

On Sept. 11, the Iowa men’s cross-country squad placed second at the Illinois State Invitational, finishing behind Illinois State by just 1 point.

Anthony Gregorio and Ben Anderson placed ninth and 10th with times of 25:07.3 and 25:11.2 in the 8,000-meter race.

“I am pleased with the teamwork we have upfront between Ben and I,” Gregorio said. “We worked together through the whole race and kept each other going when the racing got tough.”

Following those two, Michael Melchert, Kevin Docherty, Nate Ferree, Daniel Huff, and Bailey Hesse-Withbroe all finished in the top 30.

“We took a step in the right direction but still have a long way to go,” Gregorio said. “We need to try to improve our pack running and keep moving our pack up for the next meet at Notre Dame.”

Freshmen Daniel Soto and Ian Eklin followed their top-20 performances last week by placing 39th and 47th.

After the Redbirds and Hawkeyes, Loyola finished third, followed by Eastern Illinois, North Central, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, Illinois-Chicago, and DePaul.

Tyler Morse of Illinois State placed first, Riley McInerney of Eastern Illinois second, and Mitch Baum of Loyola third.

Facebook Comments