The Daily Iowan’s Iowa-Iowa State predictions

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz talks to the media in Hansen Football Performance Center on Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2015. The press conference was rescheduled for Sept. 8 for today, Sept. 9 due to the death of former Iowa player Tyler Sash. (The Daily Iowan//Margaret Kispert)

Football writers Danny Payne and Ryan Rodriguez offer their predictions for Saturday’s Iowa-Iowa State game.

Payne: I think Iowa comes out super, crazy inspired in this game. Give me a few early touchdowns, but Iowa State chips away as the game progresses. Prediction: Iowa 24, Iowa State 20.

Pick to Click: Tevaun Smith. Smith, along with the majority of the Iowa receivers, weren’t a huge factor a week ago. Smith changes that today.

Rodriguez: These games tend to stay interesting longer than most expect them to, and I think this year is no different. That said, the combination of Jordan Canzeri and LeShun Daniels Jr. out of the backfield plus C.J. Beathard through the air will wear down the ISU defense until Iowa can finally break it open. Prediction: Iowa 27, Iowa State 10. 

Pick to Click: Matt VandeBerg. Like Smith, VandeBerg is a key piece of the Iowa passing attack that Kirk Ferentz and Company will most likely lean on heavily today. Especially on those bubble screens everyone loves so much.