Point/Counterpoint: Is the Iowa State game worth it?

A cyclone fan cheers at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, September 14, 2013. Iowa beat Iowa State 27-21. Iowa has defeated Iowa State in four of the last six meetings and leads the all time series 40-21. (The Daily Iowan/ Tyler Finchum)

Two staffers debate whether playing Iowa State is worthwhile for the Hawkeyes.

Yes
I’m not going to throw out a bunch of numbers and persuade you that the Iowa State game is worth playing each year. I am going to talk about the rivalry game from the viewpoint of a kid who grew up in central Iowa and how much it means to absolutely everyone in the state.
The state does not have any major professional-sports teams. Because of that, Iowa and Iowa State are it. And because the Hawkeyes and Cyclones are the top dogs, the rivalry becomes that much bigger.
It’s bragging rights for so many more people than the players and coaches involved in the game.
Thousands of Cyclone fans will wear Hawkeye neckties on Monday to the office if Iowa wins and likewise for Hawk fans if Iowa State pulls it off.
All of the trash talk that goes on in the hallways of every middle and high school will finally be settled on Saturday, when the whole state gets together in Ames.
You’re either a Hawkeye or a Cyclone. There is no in between. For little kids growing up playing football, they either dream of strapping on the Black and Gold for the Hawkeyes or a shade of red for the Cyclones.
You either worship Hawkeye Andy Brodell for the punt return heard around the state in 2008 or James White for the touchdown in triple overtime that sealed a win for the Cyclones in 2011.
This Saturday is more than just a game for everyone involved. No matter which side you are on, this game is something to look forward to each year.
—   by Blake Dowson

No
When it comes down to it, the rivalry game between Iowa and Iowa State is not worth it anymore.
Some people may think that this game decides the better team in the state, but it does not. Just because a two- or three-win team defeats a team in bowl-game contention does not necessarily mean the former is better.
Looking at recent history, Iowa does not tend to show up for the game; the Hawkeyes have been the favorites almost every year.
Iowa State, on the other hand, does show up.
Aside from having bragging rights and a trophy, it really does the Cyclones no good. This game went from being an automatic win in earlier years to now a tossup. When Iowa loses, it does affect its ranking in the polls. It’s not like the Cyclones are a top-25 or even top-50 team. The past two seasons, Iowa State has a combined record of 5-19. Iowa has won one of the two games, barely pulling off the win in 2013.
Last year, the Cyclones won 20-17, giving them one of their two victories on the year.
Iowa shouldn’t battle with a two-win team. The Cyclones get amped because it is one of the few games in which they have a shot to win. Iowa will get pumped as well, but looking at the bigger picture, this game is not the most important on the schedule.
The postseason counts. Some teams do not make it that far, so a nonconference game is what matters the most to them.
Iowa could instead play a better opponent, one that if it does lose, it will not affect its spot that much. If the Hawkeyes play their opposition close, it looks good on Iowa’s part. But when Iowa loses a close game to a cellar-dwelling team, people question the strength of Iowa’s program — one that has been to the postseason the past two seasons.
— by Adam Hensley