Football: The Daily Iowan’s Iowa-Illinois State predictions

Tessa Hursh
Iowa defensive back Desmond King reacts after breaking up a pass during the game at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014. Iowa defeated Pitt, 24-20. (The Daily Iowan/Tessa Hursh)

Football reporters Danny Payne and Jordan Hansen offer their predictions for Iowa’s opener with Illinois State.

Danny Payne, Pregame editor

Well, we’re here. Finally it’s time for football, we don’t have to talk about what’s going to happen anymore, we actually get to watch real, live football. I’m expecting Iowa to win, but do so in an underwhelming fashion. Tre Roberson will do his thing, and C.J. Beathard will spend some time on his butt. Eventually Iowa pulls it out, although it’s a close one. Prediction: Iowa 24, Illinois State 17

Jordan Hansen, football reporter

Iowa needs to win this game and they should. Kirk Ferentz has tried his hardest to quiet fears about this years team over the offseason, but that will be all for naught if the Hawkeyes go down early and can’t pull out a victory.

Even so, this game would be a shocking one for Iowa to drop and Ferentz’s seat won’t get any hotter — at least for today. Iowa 35, Illinois State 20