O’Malley to head back to Iowa

Former Governor of Maryland Martin J. O’Malley visited the Iowa Democratic Party Awards Dinner at Des Moines, Iowa, on Friday, April 10, 2015. (The Daily Iowan/Peter Kim)

Democratic presidential hopeful Martin O’Malley is keeping his word of commitment to visit all of the state’s 99 counties, and he will hunker down in the Hawkeye State during the Labor Day holiday weekend, campaign officials

announced Tuesday afternoon.
The former two-term Maryland governor will participate nine events in nine cities, from a town hall at a Des Moines-area labor union to a picnic near the Mississippi River and a stopover in Iowa City.
The Labor Day weekend will mark the candidate’s 11th trip to Iowa as a part of his “Rebuilding the American Dream” tour, operatives said. The tour focuses on building an economy that “works for everyone.”
O’Malley’s newest jaunt back to the state could bring big dividends for the underdog, who trails party front-runner Hillary Clinton and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.
His campaign is close to securing endorsements from county party heads, aides told *The Daily Iowan* last weekend. The trips are geared at boosting O’Malley’s name recognition in the presidential race.
Aides to the former Baltimore mayor told the *DI* on Sunday that he has visited 32 of the state’s 99 counties. He has spent more time in the first-in-the-nation caucus state than any other Democratic candidate, according to DI records.
Organizers held 30 house parties statewide as a part of O’Malley for Iowa’s first Day of Action initiative.
— by Quentin Misiag