Wisconsin seeks next star

The Badgers lost one of the best backs in the country in Melvin Gordon, but that won’t keep them down in 2015.

By Charlie Green

Typically, when a program loses a player the caliber of 2014 All-American running back Melvin Gordon, finding a replacement isn’t easy.

But at Wisconsin, running backs are in high supply and now it’s junior Corey Clement’s turn to take the stage in Madison.

“He’s had mentors at the position,” head coach Paul Chryst said. “I think Melvin and the way that he approached it; before that, James White.”

Gordon had one of the greatest single-season performances in NCAA history last year, running for 2,500-plus yards and 29 touchdowns. Unsurprisingly, the Heisman Trophy runner-up spurned his senior season for the NFL draft, in which San Diego selected him in the first round.

The Badgers, who enter the season ranked No. 20, run the ball as well as any program in the country and have boasted a 1,000-yard rusher every season since 2004. Chryst expects Clement to have little trouble continuing that in 2015.

“That’s being the starting tailback at Wisconsin, which has been a position that’s had a lot of great players ahead of him,” Chryst said. “And I think he’s confident that he can add to that list. And I think he’s excited for that opportunity, quite honestly.”

Even with Gordon ahead of him, Clement compiled 949 yards a season ago, putting him at eighth in the Big Ten. Now, as he figures to get the bulk of the team’s carries, those numbers could skyrocket.

Junior Dare Ogunbowale will step in as the No. 2 back behind Clement and should see his share of carries in the Badgers’ run-heavy attack. Behind him, a bevy of other talented backs could see action as well, but might have to wait their turn, as Badger backs often do.

The real question for Wisconsin is at quarterback, where Joel Stave enters his senior season. Stave, who has struggled at times in his career, has had the luxury of managing an offense that leaned on Gordon and a stout offensive line.

This year, he understands what a strong passing game can do to compensate for losing the immense production Gordon gave the offense a season ago.

“Obviously, with the players we’ve had in the past — Montee Ball, James White, Melvin Gordon — all those guys are tremendous running backs, and when you have a great player in the backfield, you have to give him the ball,” Stave said. “But I think a strong passing game can help keep us balanced, help keep defenses on their toes so we’re not only throwing in situations where it’s third and nine, third and 10, where everyone in the stadium knows it’s coming.”

Senior receiver Alex Erickson led the team in 2014 with 772 yards; he’s a reliable but small target with average athleticism. Other than him, there are no proven difference-makers in the passing game.

The team also graduated three offensive linemen from last year’s squad, meaning Stave’s job won’t get any easier.

Statistically, the Badgers were one of the best teams defensively in all of college football in 2014 before a 59-0 blowout loss in the Big Ten Championship at the hands of Ohio State. Still, the group fared extremely well for much of the season, albeit in an underwhelming Big Ten West.

The unit is strong and experienced in the linebacker and secondary units of its new 3-4 scheme, and it could outshine the offense in 2015.

It might have to if the Badgers want to rebound from the embarrassing loss to the Buckeyes for a successful 2015, which starts with a Sept. 5 showdown against No. 3 Alabama.

“I’m excited to go play them,” Chryst said. “You love competing and going against the best.”

Follow @CharlsGreen on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis on the Iowa football team.