Big Ten West running dry

Nebras

Nebras

CHICAGO — Finding a feature running back to replace the departed Mark Weisman is a major theme of Iowa’s 2015 off-season and fall camp — a job that figures to go to LeShun Daniels Jr., Jordan Canzeri, or both.

Luckily for the Hawks, they aren’t the only team replacing their top rusher from a season ago.

Four of the top five rushers in the Big Ten came out of the West Division in 2014, and they all have moved on to careers in the NFL.

Indiana’s Tevin Coleman rushed for 2,036 yards in 12 games, doing so while battling injuries. The Atlanta Falcons selected Coleman in the third round of the NFL draft.

Minnesota’s David Cobb finished the season with 1,626 yards and 13 touchdowns for the Gophers, then landed with the Tennessee Titans in the fifth round.

Nebraska’s Ameer Abdullah compiled 1,611 yards and 19 touchdowns en route to his second-round selection by the Detroit Lions.

The most notable and decorated of the departures is Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon, whom the San Diego Chargers drafted in the first round after he ran for more than 2,500 yards and 29 touchdowns as a junior — nearly earning him the Heisman Trophy.

Both Gordon and Coleman left early for the pros, which is good news for Iowa and its prospects in the West. Last season against the Hawks, Gordon ran for 200 yards in Kinnick in their November matchup, and Coleman tore off a 219-yard performance on Oct. 11, 2014, while averaging 14.6 yards per carry.

For the Badgers, the reality is they will likely have another premier running back in 2015. The program has had a 1,000-yard rusher every season since 2004, utilizing the ultimate “next man up” mentality at the position.

In fact, even Wisconsin’s backup in 2014 almost finished with 1,000 yards. Now a junior, Corey Clement comes off a season in which he ran for 949 yards (eighth in the Big Ten), averaging 6.5 yards per carry.

In comparison, Weisman led Iowa with 812 yards and an average of 3.8. Gordon may have had a historically great season, but Wisconsin is optimistic that Clement can be the next great Badger running back.

“The starting tailback at Wisconsin … has been a position that’s had a lot of great players ahead of him,” Badger head coach Paul Chryst said. “And I think he’s confident that he can add to that list. And I think he’s excited for that opportunity, quite honestly.”

With Purdue graduating Akeem Hunt (949 yards last year), Northwestern and Illinois are the only two schools in the conference returning their top rushers from 2014. As a freshman last year, the Wildcats’ Justin Jackson ran for 1,187 yards and could be someone to watch in 2015.

Even with the loss of Weisman, it looks as if Iowa has gained some ground in the running game relative to its Big Ten West foes. Whoever gets the bulk of the carries in the Hawks’ backfield, averaging better than Weisman’s 3.8 yards per carry from last season would go a long way in aiding C.J. Beathard and the passing game.

Facebook Comments

Big Ten West running dry?

CHARLIE GREEN

Four of the top five rushers in the Big Ten came out of the West Division in 2014, and they all  have moved on to careers in the NFL.

Follow @CharlesGreen on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa football team.

Facebook Comments

• Iowa kicker Drew Stevens kicks a field goal during Iowa football’s Kids’ Day at Kinnick in Iowa City on Saturday, Aug. 13, 2022. Iowa introduced its 2022 kid captains before the team practiced in front of fans. Iowa looks to fill the role of kicker for 2022 after former kicker Caleb Shudak signed with Tennessee Titans as an undrafted free agent.

Iowa football’s kicking competition heats up during Kids Day at Kinnick

• Iowa walks onto the field with the 2022 kid captains during Iowa football’s Kids’ Day at Kinnick in Iowa City on Saturday, Aug. 13, 2022. Iowa introduced its 2022 kid captains before the team practiced in front of fans.

Photos: 2022 Kids’ Day at Kinnick

• Iowa defensive back Xavier Nwankpa poses for a portrait during Iowa football media day at Iowa football’s practice facility on Friday, Aug. 12, 2022. The No. 1 ranked 2022 recruit from Iowa committed to the Hawkeyes in December. Nwankpa received other offers from schools like Alabama, Texas A&M, Ohio State, and Notre Dame.

Football

Photos: 2022 Iowa football media day

• Iowa safety Xavier Nwankpa interacts with the media during Hawkeye Football Media Day at the Iowa football practice facility in Iowa City on Aug. 12, 2022.

Football

Defensive back Xavier Nwankpa picking up Iowa defense

• Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz interacts with the media during Hawkeye Football Media Day at the Iowa Football practice facility in Iowa City on Aug. 12, 2022.

Football

Iowa football head coach Kirk Ferentz provides injury updates ahead of Kids Day at Kinnick

• Iowa wide receiver Arland Bruce interacts with the media during Hawkeye Football Media Day at the Iowa Football practice facility in Iowa City on Aug. 12, 2022.

Kick return depth chart begins to take shape for Iowa football

• The Nile Kinnick statue is seen outside of Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City on Monday, Aug. 1, 2022.

Arts

Nile Kinnick’s legacy explored in new documentary

• Iowa quarterback Spencer Petras releases a pass during the 2022 Vrbo Citrus Bowl between No. 15 Iowa and No. 22 Kentucky at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Fla., on Saturday, Jan. 1, 2022. Petras threw for 211 yards. The Wildcats defeated the Hawkeyes, 20-17.

Football

Point/Counterpoint | What will Iowa football’s record be in 2022?

• Rutgers punter Adam Korsak sits on the set of Big Ten Network during day two of Big Ten Media Days at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Ind., on Tuesday, July 27, 2022. Korsak received questions throughout the day on what it means to be one of three starting punters from Australia in the Big Ten. The event marked the 50th annual Big Ten Media Days.

Big Ten Media Day

Rutgers’ Adam Korsak among new wave of Australian punters in the Big Ten

• Iowa wide receiver Tyrone Tracy Jr. catches a pass during a football game between Iowa and Maryland at Maryland Stadium on Friday, Oct. 1, 2021. The Hawkeyes defeated the Terrapins 51-14. (Jerod Ringwald/The Daily Iowan)

Big Ten Media Day

Transfer wide receivers Charlie Jones, Tyrone Tracy to fill holes in Purdue offense in 2022