Senior celebrates Phil’s day for last time

As Phil’s Day revs up for its fourth year, a senior is celebrating it for the last time.

Alex Huffman is the vice president of membership and recruitment for the University of Iowa Student Philanthropy Group. She also participates in UI Dance Marathon and the Iowa United Nations Association.

“I’m really involved and seeing the impact philanthropy has on families really opened my eyes on the impact philanthropy can have on a larger scale on our campus,” Huffman said about why she joined the group.

Throughout her four years on campus, Huffman has seen Phil’s Day grown into what it is today. This year is her third as a member.

“I think the biggest change that I’ve noticed since I was a freshman is that the campus is much more aware of the purpose of Phil’s Day,” she said. “I remember that a lot of students in my classes weren’t aware of what the Phil’s signs on buildings were for.”

Huffman also said that understanding of what philanthropy is has significantly grown, which may impact donations in different ways.

She said that recent graduates won’t be contributing significant donations, but Henry Tippie’s first gift to the university was $5, showing just how much impact philanthropy can have on a smaller scale.

“I think it’ll lead alumni students that graduate — recent graduates — to consider not just donating but reaching out to donors and thanking them for their donations as well.”

Huffman said that the Student Philanthropy Group’s goal is to incorporate the impact philanthropy has on student life to campus.

“We’ve been doing something right,” she said. This is one of the graduating classes that have had Phil’s Day all four years. It really has improved their understanding of philanthropy.”