Morgan Brittain ready to give back

Morgan Brittain, the REAL Party candidate for vice president of the University of Iowa Student Government, wants to give back to the university by working to bring something he cares about to campus.

Brittain’s main focus is student government, but he would like to work to get more student and local art on campus, he said. He intends to make it a priority during his tenure.

“There’s all kinds of blank concrete walls and retaining walls around campus that are just there,” he said. “Why not make these into art? I really think that we should.”

Brittain said his experience makes him right for the job.

“I was a resident assistant for a year, I’ve been a tour guide, and I’ve worked at the hospital,” he said. “That gives me a lot of different perspectives on things.”

Brittain has a passion for making art more abundant on campus, said Joelle Brown, a friend of his.

“He wants to bring more murals and art displays to the campus,” Brown said. “It’s something that he really cares about, and he’s been looking into it for a while.” she said.

Brittain, now a junior, said he never planned to study art when he arrived as a freshman.

“When I first started at Iowa, I never thought I would get a minor in art history,” Brittain said. “Once I took an art elective sophomore year, that all changed, and I realize this was something that I wanted to learn about.”

Brittain wants to bring the UI up to the same caliber as other Big Ten schools, said Rachel Zuckerman, who is running for senator on the REAL Party ticket.

“I met Morgan while working in student government. I was on the Community Outreach Committee, which he was in charge of,” Zuckerman said.

"He’s really engaging and is a really helpful, guiding force when he’s in charge of something. He makes decisions but also lets others speak up and lets their ideas be heard.”

Brown said Brittain has built a strong relationship with administrators while at the UI.

“He has already been president of [Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow], which gave him some great skills and experience; it also gave him the opportunity to work with administration,” Brown said.

“I really think he’s going to be a bridge between the students and administration because of his relationship with them."

Brittain has a genuine love for the UI, which comes from growing up in the town of Winterset, Iowa. 

“We’re both from small towns, and I think we bonded over that,” Brown said.

Giving back to the university is one of the main reasons for Brittain’s involvement in student government, Zuckerman said.

“A lot of his innovative ideas come from his love of the university,” she said.

UISG elections will take place on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. Students can vote via their ISIS accounts.