Notebook: Brands responds to Karageorge’s death

When former Ohio State wrestler and football player Kosta Karageorge was found dead Sunday, the news spurred a strong reaction from the wrestling community.

Karageorge had been with the Buckeye wrestling team for three years and had only decided to walk on to the football team this year.

He was also someone who head coach Tom Brands had known.

“I recruited that kid, so I was in their home. Good family, and our thoughts and prayers are certainly with the family,” Brands said. “It’s hard hitting. It’s sad.”

Karageorge’s body was found near his apartment in Columbus, where he had apparently succumbed to a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

While he did not have a lot of success on the mat — going just 16-15 in three years — he did compete in the 2013 Big Ten championships at heavyweight.

He left the team after the conclusion of the 2013-14 season and proceeded to walk on to the Buckeye football team, where he was listed as a defensive tackle.

“You don’t give a tribute to someone until they’re gone, and that’s why we should honor our icons, maybe earlier.” Brands said. “You don’t wait until they pass; do it when they’re alive so they know they’re appreciated.”

An answer at 149?

Brandon Sorensen seems to be the guy right now at 149-pounds.

The redshirt freshman got the start over Brody Grothus and notched a 7-6 decision win over Iowa State’s Gabe Moreno on Nov. 29.

“I didn’t get the nod until Saturday, but it was always in my head that I was going to be the guy,” Sorensen said. “Getting prepared just like I was going to go out there like I did.”

Sorensen stands at 10-1 on the season. His win over Moreno boosted him to the No. 12 ranking at 149-pounds by Flowrestling

His lone loss of the season is to Grothus, but Sorenson’s first-place finish at the Joe Parisi Open on Nov. 22 apparently showed enough to give him the starting gig — for now.

“I have to create bigger margins. That last match [versus Moreno] wasn’t a big enough one for me,” Sorenson said. “I didn’t like it, so I have to build on that and get better there.”

A look toward the future

Over the last six meetings between Michigan State and Iowa, the Hawkeyes have dominated the Spartans to the tune of an average margin of 23.8 points per meet.

While those kinds of victories have become routine, the meet still holds plenty of importance for Iowa. It is the first Big Ten meet of the year, after all.

“It’s the first Big Ten meet, and we have to get our Big Ten schedule rolling and on a roll and get that Big Ten dual title meet again this year,” 125-pounder Thomas Gilman said. “I feel like it’s not the most important thing on our mind, but it’s still a trophy for the wall.”

The Spartans only boast one ranked wrestler: freshman Javier Gasca at 133 pounds.

But the bigger issue might be keeping the wrestlers focused during the five extra days they get this season between Michigan State and the Midlands Championships at the end of December.

“If you’re focused, you do what your marching orders are, you go to battle where the battle is,” Brands said. “The battle will be more between their ears, I suppose.”

Follow @JordyHansen on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa wrestling team.