UI public safety official to retire

Chuck Green, the University of Iowa assistant vice president for the UI police, will retire after 20 years as head of the university’s Public Safety Department.

Green’s retirement is set to take effect on Jan. 9, 2015.

“Jan. 9 will mark my 20th year as director of Public Safety, and, over the last two decades, the men and women of this department have built a program that we can all be extremely proud of,” Green said.

After working as the manager of security and fire for nine years at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clincs, he became the director of Public Safety.

“It has been my distinct honor and privilege to serve the University of Iowa community and work with so many dedicated and honorable people,” Green said.

Before coming to the UI, Green worked as an Iowa state trooper for the Department of Public Safety for 10 years, as well as with the State Fire Marshall’s office.

“Chuck Green has been the consummate professional in the University of Iowa police force,” said Doug True, the UI’s senior vice president and treasurer.

True said under Green’s leadership, the campus has adopted safety planning and disaster training techniques that are now fixtures of its overall commitment to safety.

“The university community has benefited for 20 years from Chuck’s leadership, fairness, and calm under pressure, no matter the situation. We wish Chuck all the best in his retirement. He leaves the Department of Public Safety better able to protect the campus and resolute in its commitment to transparency and accountability,” the statement said.

Dave Visin, the associate director of the UI Public Safety since 2006, will fill Green’s role temporarily, until the search for a permanent replacement concludes.