Hawks fall to Northwestern

A late-game push proved inconsequential to the Iowa field hockey team’s postseason run, and the Black and Gold dropped their first-round matchup against Northwestern, 2-1.

The loss means the season is virtually over for the Hawks, who finished 2014 with an 11-7 record. 

The Hawkeyes had their fair share of chances early on, taking three-straight penalty corners in 90 seconds. After failing to convert the first two, senior Dani Hemeon finally cashed in and found the back of the net, giving the Hawks the early 1-0 lead. 

The goal was Hemeon’s 9th of the season and the last of Iowa’s season.

The lead was short-lived, however, as Northwestern responded a few minutes later with a strike from forward Isabel Flens.

The Wildcats managed to keep their foot on the gas for the remainder of the period, taking the lead with just 28 seconds left. They finished the contest with 13 shots, including 10 on goal.

The goal took the Wildcats into halftime with all the momentum firmly in their back pocket.

Tragedy for the Black and Gold struck early in the second half when Hawkeye forward Natalie Cafone went down with an apparent arm injury after colliding with Northwestern goalie Maddy Carpenter.

And as valiant as their effort was in the second half, (they outshot Northwestern 13-2) the Hawks could not overcome the loss of Cafone, and they could not overcome the Wildcats, dropping their second game of the season to Northwestern and dropping out of contention in the tournament in the process. 

Head coach Lisa Cellucci finishes her first season as head coach with a 4-5 record in the Big Ten, and the Hawks failed to reach the second round of the tournament for the first time since the 2010-11 season.