Senior trio preps for final regular-season meet

Three cross-country runners will compete in their last regular-season meet as seniors in the Black and Gold.

Kevin Lewis, Sam Fourman, and Ben Witt will race in their final regular-season meet, which doubles as the biggest meet of their senior year.

The trio, along with a few other members of the Iowa men’s cross-country team, will travel to Terre Haute, Indiana, on Saturday for the Pre-National Invitational. The harriers will run 8,000 meters at the Lavern Gibson Championship Cross-Country Course.

Seventy-eight other teams will also run, including Indiana, Penn State, and Purdue.

Lewis has led his team in three out of the four meets of this year. In the squad’s last meet, the Notre Dame Invitational, Lewis finished with a time of 23:54 to earn 31st place.

The native of Ottumwa, Iowa, may not have finished where he wanted to in South Bend, but he plans to make an improvement this weekend. Lewis also finds it “weird” knowing he only has a few meets left in his Hawkeye career.

Lewis is also looking forward to helping his teammates finish better than they did at Notre Dame. After he crossed the line at 31st, the next closest Hawkeye was sophomore Ben Anderson, in 63rd.

“I need to get the rest of the guys to think about where they should be finishing in the race, so that we can finish where we want to as a team,” he said. “It’s important to know what place you need to be because the race will have 300 runners. It can be easy to get lost.”

Witt, who finished in 24:47 and earned 127th place at Notre Dame, also wants to improve in his last regular-season meet. He stressed the importance of performance for both himself and his teammates.

“I didn’t have a great meet at the Notre Dame Invitational and wasn’t running up where the team needed me to be,” he said. “I have to get back to being the performer the team is counting on.”

Witt, a native of Burlington, Iowa, also noted how fast his four-year journey has been as a cross-country runner for Iowa.

“It’s incredible how fast my career has gone to be running in my last few cross meets,” he said. “I still remember the feeling I had putting on the Iowa singlet the first time.”

Results from this weekend’s meet will decide who will run in the Big Ten championships on Nov. 2. Only nine Hawkeyes of the team’s 17 runners will be able to compete at the conference meet.

“I’m sad that this could potentially be my final cross-country race in college, but it’s also exciting,” he said. “I want to finish my last regular-season race knowing I left everything on the course. If that’s good enough to make the traveling squad, awesome. If not I can still finish my career happy.”

Follow @marioxwilliams on Twitter for news, updates, and analysis about the Iowa men’s cross-country team.