Notebook: Weisman, Martin-Manley climb all-time lists

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — One is a wide receiver who is slowly climbing toward a goal he set four years ago. The other is a fullback-turned-workhorse who was the beneficiary of a depleted backfield.

Both, however, are leaving some big, big shoes to fill for those who follow them.

Iowa seniors Kevonte Martin-Manley and Mark Weisman added to their Hawkeye legacies in the team’s 24-10 victory over Purdue on Sept. 27. Martin-Manley climbed closer to becoming the program’s all-time leader in receptions, and Weisman reached a rushing plateau reserved for some of the best running backs Iowa has ever produced.

Martin-Manley caught 5 passes for 74 yards and his first touchdown of the season against the Boilermakers. In doing so, he raised his career reception total to 148, good for fifth all-time at Iowa.

“That’s big,” Martin-Manley said. “I’m trying not to focus on it too much. But it’s a great honor. It’s great to be in that chase right now. I’m pumped about it.”

Martin-Manley needs just 26 more catches to pass Derrell Johnson-Koulianos as the program’s all-time leader.

Martin-Manly noted that the accolades are nice, but he’s more focused on making sure the team gets victories.

Weisman gained 76 rushing yards on 24 carries and scored 2 touchdowns against the Boilermakers, bringing his career totals to 2,050 rushing yards and 22 rushing touchdowns. He’s just the seventh player in school history to surpass 2,000 rushing yards and 20 rushing touchdowns in his career.

His 22 career rushing touchdowns also rank eighth in school history, and are tied for second in the Ferentz Era, behind only Albert Young (23). (Shonn Greene also had 22 rushing touchdowns.)

Weisman’s 2 touchdowns against Purdue was also his sixth career game with 2 or more touchdowns.

“The offensive line executed great,” Weisman said. “They were opening up some big running lanes for me, Jordan, LeShun, and JP out there.”

Parker shows up against Purdue

Jonathan Parker fumbled twice in Iowa’s win over Ball State on Sept. 6. Both fumbles led to 10 of the Cardinal’s 13 points. After the second fumble, early in the third quarter, Parker didn’t see the field again.

Over the next two games, Parker only saw action on kickoff returns. Not once did he touch the ball while Iowa was on offense. Many assumed he was in head coach Kirk Ferentz’s proverbial doghouse.

But against Purdue, Parker returned with gusto. The redshirt freshman running back led all Iowa players with 94 all-purpose yards. He caught two passes for 43 yards — including one that was tipped at the line of scrimmage that Parker hauled in and ran for 34 yards — returned one kickoff 47 yards and ran the ball once for four yards.

“I’m just seeing the defense and figuring out what I want to do, where I want to go,” Parker said. “It’s really not even thinking. I would call it a reaction.”

In the season opener against Northern Iowa, Parker burst onto the stage when he took a handoff on a jet sweep and rushed for 21 yards. His speed is viewed as an asset by the team’s coaches.

Iowa’s running backs have been a big part of the passing game so far this season, mostly because of the number of check-downs. Parker said he would like to see the field more but noted that he’ll be ready whenever the coaches call his number.

“I really hope my role grows more,” he said. “Any way the coaches can get me out on the field so I can succeed and showcase my talent, that’s what it is. I love it.”

Other notes

• Iowa’s win over Purdue on Sept. 27 was Ferentz’s 112th victory as head coach. That ranks 10th among coaches in Big Ten history. The victory also gives Ferentz 65 conference wins, which ties him with Barry Alvarez for 10th all-time.

• Iowa’s win over Purdue was the third time this season that the Hawkeyes trailed by 10 points in a game and ended up winning (others: Ball State and Pittsburgh). Iowa also trailed Northern Iowa by 3 points in the second quarter and won 31-23.

• Since 2009, the Hawkeyes are 7-1 when their quarterback throws a pick-six (starting quarterback C.J. Beathard threw one in the first quarter against Purdue). Every other team in the Football Bowl Subdivision is a combined 176-525 (stat from Matt Benson).

Follow @codygoodwin on Twitter for updates, news, and analysis about the Iowa football team.