Marble gets rookie contract from Magic

Former Hawkeye Devyn Marble is officially going to get a chance to stick in the NBA — he played well enough in the Summer League for the Orlando Magic to sign him to a rookie contract.

In 20 minutes per game, the 6-6 combo guard averaged 9.4 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 1.2 assists.

Hawkeye fans know Marble as a guard who can shoot the ball, but his shooting stroke wasn’t what earned him a spot on the roster. The Magic had Marble spend time at the forward position, and while he shot only 31 percent from distance, his 6.2 rebounds led his team.

The Magic are a young team with several guards on the roster, but Marble will certainly have a chance to compete for time. Rookie of the Year runner-up Victor Oladipo will get lots of minutes at both guard positions, but Elfrid Payton and Evan Fournier are both still very much in developmental stages of their careers and will not command too much playing time initially.

Marble will most likely compete with Ben Gordon, Willie Green, and Luke Ridnour for reps as the fourth or fifth combo guard, though he will have an uphill battle taking minutes from proven veterans.

Realistically, it’ll be tough for Marble to see more than a few minutes per game at any point this season, but if he can find a niche as a guy who can shoot — and Iowa fans know he can dribble and pass a bit — and he can keep up his rebounding numbers, then he’s going to be one of those value picks that seemingly every draft has in the second round.

Marble’s entire rookie season is guaranteed, so again, he’ll get a chance. After that, he has two additional years on his deal if the Magic decide he’s performed well enough to stay on.

It’s probably not going to be much at this point, but Hawkeye fans officially have a new NBA player to root for.