Q&A: Scheel prepared for college football

The Iowa football team’s haul for 2014 national signing day was considered an improvement from the group of recruits that signed in 2013, if only because Kirk Ferentz and Company inked two four-star recruits this year after failing to bring any to Iowa City last year.

One of those stellar recruits, Jay Scheel, a 6-1 quarterback from Union High School in La Porte City, Iowa, has been tabbed as Ferentz’s biggest commitment from the prep ranks. The Daily Iowan caught up with Scheel, and he talked about what he expects to get out of his time with the Iowa football program.

DI: What was the feeling like when signing day came and went and you officially became a Hawkeye?

Scheel: It felt great. It’s always been a dream of mine to be a Hawkeye, and to finally see it on paper was really special. It’s real exciting.

DI: How long have you had that dream?

Scheel: Since I was little kid, I’ve always wanted to be a Hawkeye. My family growing up was huge Hawk fans. Once I got that offer from them, when Coach [Reese] Morgan told me, it just kind of hit me. I was jumping around, all excited about it.

DI: You’re going to make the transition from quarterback to wide receiver. Was that always in the plan when Iowa began recruiting you?

Scheel: When they initially offered me, they said there was no set position. They said I could be whatever I wanted to be and whatever I felt comfortable with. They have some great quarterbacks coming, in my grade and in the grade below me. I’m definitely fine with the decision I made to play receiver there, and I think they are too.

DI: Are you doing anything specific right now to help that transition?

Scheel: I’m just working out and trying to get better. I’m running track right now, but I’ve been following the lifting program they hand out to all of the recruits.

DI: Having played quarterback in high school, do you feel that might be advantageous for you when it comes time to line up as a receiver?

Scheel: It’s a completely different level, going from high school to college. So it might help a little bit, but it’s still going to be a difficult to go from being a quarterback [in high school] to a receiver in college.

DI: What’re you looking forward to most about the transition from high school to, not just college football, but Big Ten football?

Scheel: It’s going to be exciting because it’s just a completely different atmosphere. You’re going to learn new things, see new things, and just take on new challenges. I’m real excited to get down there.

DI: Have you given any thought to finally getting to play football, in Kinnick in front of more than 70,000 screaming Hawkeye fans?

Scheel: Oh, definitely. I think about it all the time, and it gets my heart racing every time I think about it. I’m just excited to even walk out on the field. Playing on it is going to be special.

Scheel played 21 games during his junior and senior seasons at Union High. He completed 58 percent of his passes for more than 3,200 passing yards and 37 touchdowns. He also accounted for more than 1,700 rushing yards and 27 touchdowns on the ground.