UI athletics exceeds Outback budget by nearly $200K

Documents recently obtained by The Daily Iowan show that Iowa’s Athletics Department recently spent nearly $200,000 more than was budgeted for the 2014 Outback Bowl on New Year’s Day.

The Iowa football team spent $2.09 million on expenses for participation in its bowl game, well over the $1.825 million budget provided by the Big Ten — a net difference of $195,249.

Officials say the difference came, in large part, because of travel expenses. Mick Walker, chief financial officer of the Athletics Department, issued a statement that said “the cost of flying the football team, coaching and support staff and families, the official University of Iowa delegation, and the Hawkeye Marching Band to and from Tampa, Fla., for the Hawkeyes’ New Year’s Day game was $747,288.”

That total was $221,000 more than what was required to fly the Iowa Athletics Department to Tempe, Ariz., for the 2011 Insight Bowl.

“When we became bowl-eligible and throughout our planning process, we anticipated an increase in this expense category for two reasons: First, it was our first bowl game in two years, and we knew the cost of charter aircraft service during that time had increased,” Walker said in a release. “Second, during the bidding process for this year’s bowl game charters, we learned that demand was far greater than supply, and, therefore, our choices were both limited and expensive.”

The Iowa football team’s total cost for travel during the 2014 Outback Bowl was $928,309. Walker also noted in the statement that the Athletics Department would balance its bowl-game budget with revenue from its annual operations.