Iowa falls to Iowa State, 83-70

The Iowa women’s basketball team fell to in-state rival Iowa State on Thursday night in Hilton Coliseum, 83-70. 

The Cyclones were hot from 3-point range, scoring 10 3-point shots from beyond the arc, including 5 from Brynn Williamson, who scored a game high 21 points. Hallie Christofferson also hauled in 18 points, and Jadda Buckley had 19 for the Cyclones, who controlled the matchup for the majority of the games 40 minutes.

The Hawkeyes finished the game with five players scoring in double figures: guards Samantha Logic, Melissa Dixon, Ally Disterhoft, and Theairra Taylor and center Bethany Doolittle, but it wasn’t enough for the Hawkeyes, who now have a 10-2 record, 4-2 record on the road.

After a recent hot streak in which she averaged more than 26 points per game, Dixon was held to 18 points and only 3 3-pointers against the Cyclones. Logic led the Hawkeyes in scoring with 18 points and 4 assists. The Hawkeyes had an 8-5 advantage early in the match, but then the Cyclones started hitting from beyond the arc and quickly jumped out to a 22-13 lead that included an 8-0 run. The Hawkeyes never came back, but they rallied to make the deficit as few as 10 in the second half. But the Cyclones didn’t let Iowa perform one of the comebacks it is known to be capable of against ranked teams and brought the Cy-Hawk bragging rights back with them to Ames. The Hawkeyes won in Iowa City last season.