Iowa wrestling notebook: Evans, Dziewa head home to Pennsylvania

Mike Evans’ parents don’t always get to see him wrestle in person. They’ve traveled to watch him at bigger events — like the Big Ten Tournament and NCAA championships — but that’s only because they’ll get to see him wrestle more than once.

“Aside from that, they came to Ohio State and Penn State last year,” Iowa’s 174-pounder said. “And they almost left with heart attacks.”

Evans and 141-pounder Josh Dziewa will make the trip back to their home state on Thursday when the newly appointed top-ranked Iowa wrestling team (according to InterMat) travels to Edinboro, Pa., to tangle with the 15th-ranked Fighting Scots.

For Evans, it’ll be a chance to show off in front of certain family members and a few other friends and former coaches. The Enola, Pa., native grew up just a few short hours from the Edinboro campus. He said he doesn’t know what the team has in store other than the dual, but he might ask for some free time to visit with his family.

“You got friends there, and kids who look up to you,” Evans said. “They get to see you, and that you’re still out and about. It’s good for them.

“It’s a business trip. I don’t know what our schedule is, but I might ask Tom if I could go out to eat with my parents. But aside from that, it’s business.”

Dziewa grew up a little further from Edinboro in Yardley, Pa. He said he doesn’t expect any family to make the trip to watch him wrestle, because both of his parents have to work.

But Dziewa has plenty to focus on, though. He’s set to wrestle the nation’s second-ranked 141-pounder, Edinboro’s Mitchell Port. Port finished second at last year’s NCAA championships, dropping the championship bout to Oklahoma’s Kendric Maple, 4-3.

“It’s an exciting opportunity,” Dziewa said. “He’s a tough kid, but so am I. So I’m ready to go for it.”

Lofthouse not worried about Ruth situation

Ethen Lofthouse was one of four juniors on the 184-pound NCAA podium last March. He finished fifth at the national championships — behind three seniors and one junior.

That placement, along with the graduation of others, pushed Lofthouse up near the top of this year’s preseason polls. As of this writing, Lofthouse is ranked second at 184 pounds according to InterMat, behind just Penn State’s Ed Ruth, the weight’s defending national champion.

But in one poll, the Amateur Wrestling News poll, Lofthouse is the top-ranked wrestler, and Ruth is nowhere to be found. The only reason A.W.N. doesn’t rank wrestlers is because of “non-competition, redshirt status or other reasons.”

On Monday, the Centre Daily Times out of State College, Pa., reported that Ruth was charged with a DUI, a charge that arose from an incident last month.

This could mean any number of things, including that Ruth could be held out of the Iowa-Penn State dual on Dec. 22 — which means the highly anticipated 184-pound bout between him and Lofthouse will be postponed until further notice. Ruth isn’t able to return until Dec. 15, when Penn State duals Ohio State.

“I’m not worrying about what he’s up to,” Lofthouse said. “I’m sure he’ll be back. When it comes time to wrestle him, I’ll be ready. That’s something I’m definitely looking forward to.”

Gilman gets the nod for Edinboro dual

Iowa wrestling coach Tom Brands said on Tuesday that Thomas Gilman will make his dual début against Edinboro on Thursday. Gilman is set to wrestle the Fighting Scot’s 125-pounder Kory Mines, who’s ranked 17th at the weight.

That Gilman is starting on Thursday doesn’t change that Cory Clark is still the starter, Brands said. Brands didn’t elaborate on the decision but assured the media of what he plans on doing going forward.

“This is not an indication in any way, shape or form on Clark’s performance,” Brands said. “He’s still the guy, and he’ll be the guy when we come back to town next Thursday when we wrestle Buffalo [at Carver-Hawkeye Arena].”