The DI‘s biggest summer storylines

The summer of 2013 was an adventurous one for a number of Iowa’s student-athletes. Some select Hawkeyes competed overseas, a golfer made his professional début, and summer basketball ruled the North Liberty Community Center.

Though the summer isn’t over yet, a good portion of it has passed. The Daily Iowan takes a peek at the biggest stories that took place over this summer’s publishing semester.

White plays with Team USA

Iowa’s Aaron White had arguably the most exciting summer of anyone in Hawkeye Nation. The junior guard for the men’s basketball team tried out for, and made, the World University Games National Team.

White and Team USA competed at the World University Games in Kazan, Russia. The team took ninth despite a 6-2 record in the competition. White averaged 15.4 minutes off the bench each game and scored 6.1 points per contest.

The native of Strongsville, Ohio, gained a great deal of experience while traveling with Team USA. He learned more about the game from other players on the team. He learned more about himself, both as a player and a leader. White may not have brought a medal back from the Games, but those lessons have prepped him to lead a hungry Hawkeye team come the winter season.

“The confidence and mental stuff I learned outweighs [the physical development], because I didn’t really get to work on my game,” he said after returning home. “I didn’t add a new move or get bigger or stronger, but I learned more about the game and myself. I learned more about leadership.”

Ihm makes pro début at John Deere Classic

Iowa men’s golfer Steven Ihm’s summer was chock full of traveling. He first made headlines after winning the Sunnehanna Amateur Championship back in June, and followed that up with his professional début at the John Deere Classic in July.

Ihm’s showing at the John Deere Classic wasn’t nearly as triumphant as his play at the Sunnehanna. The Peosta, Iowa, native shot even par in his first professional round of golf.

“At your first PGA Tour Event, shooting par — it’s never bad,” he said shortly after his first round ended. “But I wanted to play a little better. I was a little disappointed in my first round.”

Clemmons repeats as Prime Time champ

Iowa guard Anthony Clemmons repeated as a Prime Time League champion this past summer. His team posted a 5-1 regular season record before winning two playoff games en route to the summer-league crown.

Clemmons was a force throughout the Prime Time season, posting an average of 24 points. He looked supremely confident each time he took to the hardwood, and he is ready to carry that mindset with him into the 2013-14 campaign, where Clemmons will likely see more time and action.

“I’m getting there,” he said on Sunday. “I’m working at it. It starts here with the Prime Time League, starts with the workouts, individual practice and us going to Europe. I can be the judge of [my progress] once things get moving.”

Disterhoft claims Game Time crown

The summer might not have been the official coming out party for Ally Disterhoft, but the incoming freshman proved she’s ready to make some noise for the Iowa women’s basketball team this coming season.

Disterhoft and Bethany Doolittle willed their team to a Game Time League title this summer. And over the course of the summer months, Disterhoft went from a timid player to a breakout star.

Now, after gaining some confidence and comfort, Disterhoft is ready to show what she’s got for head coach Lisa Bluder.

“I think I’ve got a lot more comfortable,” she said. “My teammates really made me more confident, and playing with Bethany, she just has the most confidence in me. It’s nice when you know you have teammates that are going to back you up.”