Sephora opens Coral Ridge location

A leading global specialty beauty retailer is set to open new doors in the Iowa City area.

Paris-based Sephora, which carries a variety of skin-care, fragrance, and body-care products, will open its Coral Ridge Mall storefront at 10 a.m. today, the company announced in a Wednesday news release.

The new 3,836-square-foot space next to Banana Republic, sells more than 13,000 products from more than 200 brands, including Bumble and bumble, Hourglass, Josie Maran, Kat Von D, Marc Jacobs, Philosophy, and Stella McCartney.

The first 100 customers to show up at the store’s grand opening will have a chance to snag store gift valued up to $100.

The Coralville location is the company’s third in Iowa; it will be open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Sephora also operates two locations West Des Moines: at Jordan Creek Town Center and inside the JC Penney at Valley West Mall.

A 2011 Divaris Real Estate survey commissioned by Iowa City and the University of Iowa asked UI students, faculty, and staff, as well as local residents, about their retail needs.

The survey revealed the top retail venues where the three consumer groups shopped were Coral Ridge Mall at 82 percent, Coralville free-standing retail stores at 73 percent, downtown Iowa City at 71.5 percent, and the Internet at 71.4 percent.

Coral Ridge Mall opened in 1998; it is owned and managed by Chicago-based General Growth Properties.